University Trustee Robert Fox's gift will go to create a new program in leadership for College students. University Trustee and 1952 College graduate Robert Fox will donate $10 million to the College of Arts and Sciences to establish the Robert A. Fox Leadership Program, University President Judith Rodin announced on Monday. Rodin said that the program will endeavor to enhance the educational experience for students in the College by focusing on the development of leadership skills and abilities. She noted several features of the future program, including discussion groups with business, academic and political leaders; the development of speaking skills courses; and the creation of three Fox Leadership professorships aimed at coordinating curricular and extracurricular leadership events. Rodin praised the new initiative and added that "as a business leader, Trustee and former Penn student-athlete, Bob Fox exemplifies the very leadership principles that inspired this exciting new program." Complete details regarding the program -- which will officially begin in the fall with a non-credit College course, Lessons in Leadership -- have not been finalized, College Dean Richard Beeman said. But he added that he is very excited about developing the program and working with the future Fox professors. As part of the program, Beeman said that in the fall semester of 2000, the College will launch the Fox Leadership Forum -- a weekend of workshops with academic leaders -- as a "vital component" of freshman orientation. School of Arts and Sciences Dean Samuel Preston said he anticipates that two of the three Fox professorships will be held by John DiIulio -- a Princeton University political science professor who will join the Penn faculty in July -- and Psychology Professor Martin Seligman. He added that the final position should be filled over the summer. Seligman stressed the importance of leadership education, noting that "leadership isn't born, it's cultivated." Beeman said the College has never before focused on developing leadership skills among students. The goals of the new program fall under the broad scope of the Agenda for Excellence -- Rodin's long-term plan that outlines academic and capital goals for the University. Fox -- who majored in economics and played football during his undergraduate days -- serves as the president and chairperson of R.A.F Industries, a private investment company based in Jenkintown, Pa. He said he had hoped to "create something dynamite for the University" through the new program and added that in the business world leadership skills "are everything." "We are fortunate to have Trustees who have the capacity to do this," Vice President of Development and Alumni Relations Virginia Clark said. In 1998, Trustees Walter and Leonore Annenberg donated $10 million for the development of the Annenberg Scholars Program and to aid the beleaguered Political Science Department. And earlier this month, Trustee David Pottruck donated $10 million for major renovations of Gimbel Gymnasium, as well as $2 million toward the Wharton School's Huntsman Hall. Fox is a member of the Executive Committee of the Trustees and chairs the Budget and Finance Committee. In addition, Fox is also part of the Trustee board of the Health System and the Athletics Advisory Board. Last summer, Fox and his wife donated $500,000 for the Bob and Penny Fox Student Art Gallery, located in the basement of Logan Hall.