The 10th annual Penn Rocks for the Homeless benefit concert rocked the Eighth Floor on Delaware Avenue last night, starting off with the crash of drums and wailing punk guitar rock as party-hungry Penn students gathered around the dance floor. The event's organizers were hoping to raise $10,000 for Dignity Housing, a housing development and social service agency dedicated to providing affordable housing for homeless families and individuals. A silent auction -- including collectibles such as a guitar signed by Greg Allman of the Allman Brothers Band, a basketball emblazoned with Patrick Ewing's signature, an autographed Janet Jackson album and an authentic Penn men's basketball team uniform -- was the highlight of the evening. Upwards of 800 enthusiastic revelers -- along with a flowing bar and funky band scene -- ensured the event's success despite the administration's stricter enforcement of the University's alcohol policy this year. "There was a little scare when we heard about the policy," said Penn Rocks Co-Director Benji Dillon, a College senior. But according to Dillon, the administration was "kind enough to make an exception and let the event go on." Students were carded at the door and had to be 18 years old to enter the club and 21 to receive a bracelet which gained them bar access. "Our campus is dry and this is the first social event in a really long time and I think it's a good cause" said College freshman Lori Eisner, who attended the event. The past nine years have been a huge success for Penn Rocks, garnering a total of over $90,000 for local charities such as Empty the Shelters, the University City Housing Coalition and the People's Emergency Center. This year's charity, Dignity Housing, has provided housing for nearly 400 formerly homeless people in Philadelphia since its founding in 1988. Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell and his wife, Marjorie, a University Trustee and a judge on the Third Circuit U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, came this year to lend their support to a worthy cause and their ears to son and College freshman Jesse Rendell's band, Outtaline, which opened the event. Mayor Rendell called the event "a great effort," and said he hopes the night will "generate a good income." "I just sent a letter to the state legislature today decrying the loss of funding [for the homeless in Philadelphia]," he said, adding that because of the cuts in state welfare funding, the city government must rely more and more on private fundraisers to support the homeless. By 10:15 p.m. the party swung into high gear as popular dance music flooded the three spacious rooms while Outtaline stepped down to make way for the second band of the night, a duo comprised of College junior Marc McGehan and Wharton junior Dave Goldman. Goldman and McGehan were followed by the New York group Dujeous?, a live hip-hop ensemble fronted by College senior Aaron Jones. The New York sound of Tammany Hall rounded out the event.