A quadriplegic man is alleging in a recently filed lawsuit that a University Police officer brutally assaulted him in March 1998 after a routine traffic stop. University officials deny the charges. Kareem Astillero, 23, of the 1400 block of East Bristol Street, was driving in the area of 39th and Market streets on March 11, 1998, when Penn Police Officer Charles Deshields allegedly pulled over his car without any reason, the lawsuit says. Astillero claims he was ordered to exit the car at gunpoint, and that after telling Deshields he could not get out because he is paralyzed, several officers -- including Deshields -- allegedly "attacked, beat and grabbed him, all the while verbally abusing him," according to the lawsuit. "I think this is an outrageous incident that clearly should not have been committed," said Lee Bender, Astillero's attorney. "A quadriplegic was yanked out of his car and abused for no reason." Astillero is suing Deshields and the University for an amount of no more than $50,000 for severe bodily injuries and emotional pain and suffering. Neither Deshields nor University Police Chief Maureen Rush would comment on the suit. University spokesperson Ken Wildes said that Penn attorneys had received a copy of the suit and would defend those named against it. "We do not believe [Astillero] was mistreated [but] rather that [University Police] officers handled the incident appropriately," Wildes said. "We will vigorously defend the charges." The lawsuit, filed on March 30, demands reparations for five counts of wrongdoing -- negligence, assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent infliction of emotional distress and false imprisonment. The suit also seeks punitive damages. "We're seeking fair and reasonable compensation for the wrongdoing that has been done to [Astillero]," Bender said. The case is set for arbitration in November. Arbitration -- required for all demands less than $250,000 -- is a mandatory hearing in front of three lawyers who try the case. Each side has 30 days to reject the lawyers' decision and request a jury trial. The University Police Department has been hit by other police brutality allegations over the past several years. In October 1997, a College freshman was arrested for disorderly conduct outside of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house by University Police officers. Several FIJI brothers later accused the officers of using excessive force in detaining the student. An internal review board cleared the officers of any wrongdoing, and no lawsuit was filed. And two years prior to that incident, two University Police officers were fired by then-Police Chief George Clisby following their involvement in the alleged beating of two homeless men behind the Civic Center while on duty.