With their house's future in doubt, FIJI brothers voted to dissolve the frat. The brothers of Phi Gamma Delta have decided to forfeit their charter, ending their 117-year-history on campus, according to Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Director Scott Reikofski. "The members' voluntary decision to dissolve the chapter comes at a time when its long-term status on campus was being reviewed by both the University and the international fraternity," Reikofski said in a statement released yesterday. The chapter was suspended by its national office two weeks ago while it and the University continued to investigate FIJI's violations of alcohol and risk management policies at an alumni dinner March 20 that ended in the death of 26-year-old 1994 College graduate and FIJI brother Michael Tobin. The former FIJI brothers "saw what was coming" and decided to take responsibility for their actions, Reikofski said. "The brothers of Phi Gamma Delta have decided to take this action because we realize the policies we have violated," Wharton junior Martin Park, president of Penn's former FIJI fraternity, said in a statement. Park added yesterday that despite the formal disbanding of the fraternity, the former brothers -- who will occupy their house at 3619 Locust Walk for the remainder of the semester -- will "stick together." FIJI had been a member of Penn's Greek system since 1882. Reikofski said a decision will be made as early as next week about what to do with FIJI's former house on Locust Walk. The house was built in 1914 specifically for the fraternity and is a Philadelphia historical landmark. InterFraternity Council President Mark Metzl, a College junior and Tau Epsilon Phi brother, yesterday acknowledged the pain this causes the Greek community. "The [IFC] is saddened and weakened by the loss of the chapter and hope that considering the history and tradition of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity that the national will look to recolonize as soon as possible," Metzl said. The FIJI fraternity has had a history of alcohol-related incidents. An October 1997 incident at the local chapter attracted at least 50 police officers from several forces after three allegedly drunk men were arguing loudly outside the Penn FIJI house. One of the men was arrested for assaulting four Penn Police officers, and another, then a College freshman, was arrested for and then cleared of resisting arrest in an incident that spurred allegations of police misconduct. On the national level, the fraternity received widespread attention in September 1997, when a Massachusetts Institute of Technology freshman and FIJI pledge died from alcohol poisoning after a pledge event at that school. The MIT chapter later had its charter revoked. The FIJI national organization announced plans for all houses to be alcohol-free by the year 2001.