After finishing last season at a disappointing 10-29 -- including a 0-12 record against Ivy League opponents -- the Penn softball team has the potential to become the first Penn softball team since 1984 to finish with a winning record. How? The answer is simple: freshmen contributions and upperclassmen dedication. Five freshman have started games regularly so far this season. In fact, three freshmen -- third baseman Jen Moore, left fielder Clarisa Apostol and second baseman Jamie Pallas -- have started every Penn game this spring. Outfielder Lindsay Wagner and catcher Molly Meehan, who are also freshmen, have started a majority of the games in their rookie season as well. "[Coach] Carol [Kashow] brought in an awesome freshmen class, not only in physical ability but in personality," senior shortstop Sherryl Fodera said. Not only have these freshmen been starting but they've been helping the Quakers where they need it most. Last year, Penn was plagued by poor hitting and an inability to manufacture runs. The collective team batting average was a mere .211, and opponents maintained a 2.21 earned runs average against Penn over the course of the 1998 season. Sparked by the offensive prowess of the Class of 2002, the 1999 campaign has seen a remarkable rise in numbers. With Moore, Apostol and Pallas batting .368, .364 and .320, respectively, Penn's team batting average is .273 this season. Last year, only one starter kept her batting average above this year's team average of .273. Moreover, not a single Quaker had a batting average above the magic .300 mark. In addition to the freshmen bats, Fodera's 1999 success has also raised the Quakers' average. Fodera is currently batting .303 and her two home runs and 10 RBIs have already eclipsed last season's totals. Her statistics dropped last season after she was named first team All-Ivy in 1997, when she batted .425 and set a Penn record for RBIs in a single season with 25. "She's been more relaxed due to the realization that she doesn't have to do it all by herself," Kashow said. As one of only two seniors, a lot of leadership responsibility falls on Fodera's shoulders. "She is naturally a leader by the things she does," Kashow said. "She is mindful of everyone and their role on the team, which helps with team chemistry." Other upperclassmen in the starting lineup include sophomore tri-captain Kari Feinberg, the designated hitter; junior first baseman Kari Dennis, who splits time with sophomore Christine Fenyus; and sophomore outfielder Jaime Hojdila. The quality pitching performances of junior tri-captain pitcher Suzanne Arbogast have been equally as important as the increased scoring punch in the season's first few weeks. The only returning pitcher from the 1998 roster, Arbogast has been the team's No. 1 pitcher since opening day, starting eight out of 12 games so far. In her first eight outings, Arbogast has seen an improvement in her numbers as well. While holding her opponents to an even .200 batting average, Arbogast has lowered last season's 5.01 ERA to 2.28. "She had the natural ability as a freshman and sophomore but with her work ethic she's really matured into her role," Kashow said. The No. 2 starter for the Red and Blue is sophomore tri-captain Michelle Zaptin, who plays centerfield when she's not starting on the mound. Freshmen Kate Hanlon and junior southpaw Allyson Emond, who have both pitched in relief situations this season, round out the pitching staff. The great influx of youth in the form of seven freshman is not the only reason for Penn's early season success. A large part also stems from the off-season work ethic of the upperclassmen. NCAA regulations allow players to practice independently for two hours a week during the off-season -- and the Quakers took full advantage. That hard work is beginning to pay dividends. On this date last year, the team was 1-8 after returning from its spring break trip to Florida. Now they have a .500 record after Wednesday's double-header split with Villanova. "Everyone's expectations are really high," Fodera said. "The freshmen are all about winning. They're used to winning, so they expect to win." Apparently, the freshmen spirit is contagious as the whole team has shown dedication to making 1999 Penn's first winning season in 15 years.