The InterFraternity Council is not overhauling its alcohol policy but announced that it will examine specific aspects. Following the alcohol-related death of a 26-year-old University alumnus and Phi Gamma Delta brother outside of the fraternity's house Sunday morning, the InterFraternity Council concluded at a meeting last night that while the incident should not spur a review of the IFC's overall alcohol policies, rules regarding alumni and brotherhood events would be examined. InterFraternity Council President Mark Metzl, a College junior and Tau Epsilon Phi brother, said the incident has prompted the IFC to begin an "open dialogue" with the University about alcohol policies surrounding alumni and brotherhood events specifically. The police investigation of the crime scene revealed that Michael Tobin died from multiple internal injuries and a fractured skull resulting from a fall down an outdoor stairway after a closed alumni dinner at the FIJI house. Police interviews with FIJI alumni and current brothers who were with Tobin the night of his death indicate that he had been drinking since late afternoon on Saturday. But Metzl said that while the University investigation into FIJI's alcohol violations is not complete, it appears that "this tragedy could have happened anywhere to any person under similar circumstances" and that the entire Greek system at Penn should not be penalized for it. He added that the incident "is not reflective" of the whole Greek system or "indicative of our policy or operation." Meanwhile, Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum released a statement yesterday saying some fraternity members have suggested to her that "they are considering cancelling all alcoholic events for the remainder of the spring semester in their houses." McCoullum said she responded to these students saying she would "support any fraternity which made the decision? to go dry," as long as the decision was made by students. The IFC never discussed the option of going dry at its meeting last night but instead proposed -- and later rejected -- the idea of a three-week social moratorium. IFC Executive Board members said the latter idea was rejected because the group's current risk management policies and alcohol education programs are adequately addressing the issue of alcohol abuse. Many Greek houses, however, are voluntarily cancelling social events that had been scheduled for this weekend. IFC Executive Vice President Andrew Exum, a Sigma Nu brother and Daily Pennsylvanian columnist, said yesterday that although the IFC is concerned about the past weekend's incident, it has reached the decision "that our current policies are working." The College junior added that the IFC will hold a vigil on College Green Friday night to memorialize Tobin's life. The IFC will also raise money in Tobin's memory for an alcohol education fund. The fund will be used to co-sponsor programs for New Student Orientation, speakers and other initiatives. "It's been our belief that the most effective manner of attacking the alcohol problem has been through education," Metzl said. He further pointed to the Greek system's "track record" of running safe social functions, adding that this incident "seemingly does not fall in the lines of a Greek social function" since Saturday's FIJI alumni pig roast was a closed event. The IFC stressed that the most effective method of attacking the University's alcohol problem has been through educational programming. "Greeks are doing a majority of the alcohol education for the freshman class," noted Exum, pointing to TIPS training, the Penn Drinking Project and the Alcohol 101 CD-ROM. Tobin's death was one of several alcohol-related incidents this past weekend. The Liquor Control Enforcement bureau of the Pennsylvania State Police busted two downtown sorority parties for underage drinking Saturday night. Also, the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania treated a female freshman for an alcohol-related illness later that same night.