The Academic Policy and Student Life committees met on the second day of the Trustees' winter meetings. During the second day of the University Trustees' winter meetings, the 55 Trustees attending the conference met in small committees to discuss University initiatives and strategic planning. The Penn undergraduate experience is the theme of the tri-annual session and was the primary focus of yesterday's meetings of the Academic Policy and Student Life committees. Provost Robert Barchi chaired the Academic Policy Committee meeting at the Faculty Club yesterday morning. He told the 10 Trustees and the several students and faculty members in attendance that he wanted to talk about one of the strengths of the University -- undergraduate research opportunities Barchi -- who cited the topic as one of the four goals of his provostship, which officially began on February 1 -- said that he wanted to "focus on how we expand and enrich the academic experience with very strong research programs at Penn." After describing the grants and programs opportunities for research-oriented undergraduates -- such as the Undergraduate Research Resource Center and the diverse living-learning programs -- Barchi turned the meeting over to three students, who described their individual research experiences. The different projects included studying classical manuscripts and working in specialized genetic engineering labs with the help of Penn professors and resources. Engineering and Wharton senior Eugene Huang talked about how he helped design a futuristic television remote control. Under the guidance of Computer and Information Science Professor David Farber, Huang and 1998 Engineering and Wharton graduate Peter Daley designed the first software-controlled remote for his senior Engineering design project. Huang demonstrated the remote, which serves as a computerized TV Guide, filtering and organizing channel listings. Patents on the device were filed last September and the product should be on the market in two years. The Trustees raved over the student achievements. "When I was a student I don't know if these [opportunities] existed," Trustee Judy Berkowitz said. "It makes the educational experience so enriched." The Student Life Committee met at Civic House -- which opened last fall as the University's community service hub -- to listen to students and faculty describe the community service projects underway on campus. Civic House Faculty Chairperson Peter Conn told the committee that the mission of Civic House is to "nurture a culture of service." He stressed the hard work that the students do for the community and the program. "I have never worked with a more interested and interesting, dedicated and tenaciously idealistic group of students," the English professor noted. Students discussed their service experiences, which included tutoring programs with local schools and political campaigning, with the Trustees. The four students on the Civic House Steering Committee stressed that without the physical facilities of the house, their work would be impossible. "What's accomplished here on a day-to-day basis is amazing," said Civic House Treasurer and College junior Joshua Fink. The three-day winter meeting concludes today with meetings of the Budget and Finance Committee and a session with all of the Trustees to pass resolutions on University issues and faculty appointments.