For nearly 100 years, the monolithic iron structure of the Market-Frankford elevated train has towered over West Philadelphia, cluttering Market Street with its massive columns and blocking sunlight to the businesses below. But beginning this summer, SEPTA's reconstruction of the West Philadelphia end of the El will entail renovating the old tracks and stations to make the structure more aesthetically pleasing. According to SEPTA officials, the reconstruction -- which includes new tracks, stations and deckwork -- will take place from the 46th Street station to Millbourne station in the western suburbs and will be conducted only on weekends to minimize the passenger inconvenience. The construction will allow SEPTA to "modernize our system and enable us to operate our new El cars at full capacity," SEPTA spokesperson Coree Randolph said. "It will allow our passengers to have a more pleasing riding environment." The construction will continue for about six years, Randolph said. Shuttle buses will operate on weekends when construction interferes with the mass transit system's operation. The construction could cause short-term inconveniences, Randolph said. Possible effects of the construction include heavier traffic and closed-off streets. The design changes include replacing the current columns that support the track with new columns that will be fewer in number and more spaced-out. The finished structure will allow more light to pass through and will reduce traffic congestion in the area, according to SEPTA officials. Randolph added that SEPTA has been working actively with the West Philadelphia community in planning the renovations. "Our goal is to engage the community as much as possible," Randolph said. "This is their El." SEPTA officials have been meeting with community members to keep area residents and businesspeople informed on how the project will affect the neighborhood underneath the track. These measures include showing residents preliminary plans and getting feedback on the designs. Although most community residents are optimistic about the new El, some have raised concerns about SEPTA's continued commitment to the community. "I like the idea of the community being involved," said community activist Frances Walker-Ponnie, who has been involved in the consultation process. "But they need to work more closely with the community that is going to be impacted." And Margaret Shepherd, president of Dunlap Community Citizens Concerned, said that the plans are "great" but that she is worried about the construction "curtailing the businesses underneath." Penn Transportation Services Manager Ron Ward said the new El may motivate more employees to commute to work rather than drive. Ward also called the project a "rejuvenation for Market Street." "I think it'll definitely improve the neighborhood and may bring more business back to the area," he said.