Villanova center Malik Allen used Geoff Owens' absence to dominate in the second half. VILLANOVA, Pa. -- Villanova center Malik Allen turned in one of the most dominant 20-minute performances against Penn in recent history. Unfortunately for the Quakers, it was the wrong 20 minutes of the game -- the last 20. After being held to just two points, one rebound and two blocked shots in the first half after picking up two quick fouls, the Wildcats center exploded in the second half of the game against a Geoff Owens-less Penn basketball team. Allen dominated every facet of the Big 5 contest in the paint for the Wildcats. In his last 19 minutes of play, the junior tallied 13 more points on 5-of-8 shooting to bring his game total to 15 -- four points better than his 10.8 average. "The advantage that we had for the game was what ended up being the difference, which was Malik Allen," Villanova coach Steve Lappas said. The Medford, N.J., native also added six rebounds and five blocked shots in the second half to finish with seven boards and seven blocks. Most importantly, the 6'10" center picked up just one additional foul in after the intermission. With Villanova experiencing shooting woes -- they went 3-for-20 from three-point land -- the Wildcats' only choice was to turn to Allen. "So far this year we have proven we are a pretty good three-point shooting team," Villanova forward Brian Lynch said. "When it is not working like this, that is when we have to take the ball to the basket and get the ball down to Malik and let Malik create a little bit." Allen's sheer dominance had Penn fans throughout The Pavilion searching for Owens in every corner of the building. Not only was the Penn center not in uniform, he was also unable to make the trip to the Main Line. And his presence has never been as sorely missed. "We don't have much of an answer for Malik when he posts up. We should have fronted him a few more times," Penn coach Fran Dunphy said. "But for the most part I thought we did what we wanted to do." But it wasn't enough. With 1:40 left on the clock, Penn was down 70-58 and trying to put together one final desperation run at a victory. Quakers forward Paul Romanczuk looked to score a quick two points inside the paint but was rejected by a waiting Allen. Penn guard Michael Jordan then picked up the loose ball and tried his hand in the lane, but found himself the victim of Allen's sixth block just seven seconds later. Allen's second-half dominance, however, began right out of the locker room. Without Owens and his 48 blocks on the season, Allen pounded the ball inside against the 6'8" Josh Sanger, who started in place of Owens. "We made a conscious effort before the game. We made a conscious effort in practice the last two days to get the ball to Malik," Lappas said. "In the first half, the foul trouble hurt us a little bit. Malik was out of the game, and they did a great job of not letting us throw the ball in that easy." With the Quakers ahead by a score of 36-32, Allen took matters into his own hands. The junior tallied his first field goal of the half at the 16:45 mark, beginning a personal 11-point run in the next 10 minutes of the game. His four-foot hook shot brought the Wildcats within one with just over 10 minutes remaining in the game. Three minutes later, Villanova's leading rebounder, at 6.8 per game, converted a one-and-one to put the Wildcats on top by six, 61-55 -- and they never looked back. Allen added only two more points to his team's final total but added two crucial rebounds and three blocked shots in the final three minutes. Since moving into the starting lineup in place of senior Rafal Bigus against Boston College on January 13, Allen has thrived as the Wildcats main offensive threat. "I thought he'd be our go-to-guy last year," Lappas said. "What Malik is doing now, I thought he would have even done more of at the end of last year. But I think he wore out last year -- physically he wasn't as strong as he is now. So I am not surprised at what Malik is doing." In a critical victory over Rutgers, he led Villanova in scoring with 22 points and six rebounds. Just last Saturday, Allen poured in a season-high 22 points and 11 rebounds against Big East rival Providence. His efforts were outshined, however, by the play of Friars forward Jamal Thomas, who dropped 38 points on the Wildcats to lead his team to a 90-84 win. Allen's performance last night was just a matter of time -- playing time that is. As long as the Villanova center stayed out of foul trouble, his low-post dominance was inevitable without a healthy big man like Geoff Owens in the paint defending against him. "This might be a game that we lose in December before Malik is playing the way that he is playing right now," Lappas said.