Do you really hate Princeton? Then show it by rooting for the Tigers in non-Ivy League games. "M.J. is Henderson's bitch!!!" Step back to last March 3. It was a game without any title implications. Associated Press No. 8, undefeated-in-the-Ivy-League Princeton had pulled into the Palestra to take on the Quakers (10-3 Ivy) in what was supposed to be a final tune-up for the Tigers before heading to the NCAAs. Palestra magic was at its thickest. Just thinking about the game -- which Penn ultimately lost 78-72 -- makes me want to don a "Penn Hoops Rocks the Palestra" T-shirt and break into a rousing rendition of "PRINCE-ton, PRINCE-ton? you suck!" And that's why I root for the Tigers. Vehemently so, in fact. Don't get me wrong. I'd rather have the Palestra rats gnaw off my flesh than be caught wearing one of those day-glo orange "Go Tigers" shirts so popular among the Princeton ranks last year. But as a diehard Quakers fan, I feel a duty to cheer on dreaded Princeton in all its non-Ivy contests. Don't agree with me? Then ask yourself why you are having so much difficulty pulling for Princeton. Chances are, I already know your response -- "I hate Princeton." Thanks to factors ranging from geographic proximity to history to academic rivalry, Princeton is our most hated archenemy in all sports. And none more than basketball -- the only sport in which an Ivy school has the potential for major national attention. And the only way to get that attention is for both Penn and Princeton to register wins against nationally-recognized opponents -- and then to stir up the mix at the NCAAs. With the weak six sisters perennially fighting for third in the Ivies, Penn and Princeton both know that their twice-yearly battles are must-wins, with the coveted tourney berth at stake. So naturally, Penn fans hate Princeton fans and the Tigers faithful return the feelings. Just look at the signs -- from the MJ/Mitch Henderson number to "Look Ma, no homework," another Tigers fan favorite. But this desire to root against our league rival should have no bearing on non-Ivy games. Because above all, the Ivy bond prevails. Ever since the Ivy Group Agreement effectively began the Ivy League 45 years ago, the schools comprising the Ancient Eight have been linked by a no-scholarships bond. Not to get sappy, but call this bond a sense of Ivy brotherhood. And while brothers hate losing to brothers, they would never wish their brother to get his ass kicked by a stranger. "I want all the teams to do well against their non-Ivy opponents," Penn tri-captain Paul Romanczuk said. "I find myself cheering for Princeton." And if Penn and Princeton are the only Ivy schools fielding competitive teams, then so much stronger the metaphor in this two-team brotherhood. Need another reason? Then revisit last year's finale once again. Princeton had already secured the Ivy title, yet the Palestra overflowed with more of its trademark magic than it has in any other game in the past two seasons, November's overtime win against then-No. 6 Temple included. Why? Because every Penn rooter worth his weight in "Abner's -- Go Quakers!" T-shirts knows that last year's No. 8 Tigers team was overrated. And every Red-and-Blue-painted fan was gripped with a burning desire to see Penn knock Bill Carmody's squad off its overhyped media perch and boot them back to Old Nassau. The better Princeton performs outside the league -- and the more their slow-down, move-away-from-the-ball brand of basketball gimmicks sweeps up the pollsters -- the more thrilling the Penn-Princeton matchup gets. And the bigger the hatred of the Tigers grows. Thus, the more satisfying a Quakers win becomes. But if Penn should fail to win the Ivies, there should be no excuse for rooting against the Tigers in the NCAAs. Those Quakers fans who stuck every pin into their Steve Goodrich voodoo dolls and laid their savings on Michigan State should be ashamed for crying sour grapes. Had Princeton made the Sweet 16 last year, the seeding for this year's Ivy champ -- be it Penn or Princeton -- would be given more careful consideration. So go ahead. Root for Princeton. Because come March Madness, we're going to be needing that seed.