Blair Mundy was arrested Friday night when he allegedly tried to break into a house on Pine Street. University Police on Saturday arrested a man they believe is responsible for stealing thousands of dollars in electronic equipment, bicycles and other items in at least eight recent burglaries in student housing near campus. Blair Mundy, 29, of Upper Darby, Pa., was arrested at about 12:30 a.m. Saturday after trying to break into a house on the 3900 block of Pine Street, according to University Police Det. Commander Tom King. Mundy was taken to the Philadelphia Police Department's 18th District headquarters at 55th and Pine streets, where he was charged with burglary, illegal possession of a firearm and several related charges. He was released on bail yesterday, Philadelphia Police officials said. The amount of the bail was not immediately available. University Police officers Joanne Kettler and Daryl Blair allegedly saw Mundy prying open the bars blocking a window on the second floor of the residence. After being spotted by the officers, Mundy fled on foot. Details of the chase were not immediately clear, but the officers called for backup and the suspect was quickly apprehended. Mundy was carrying a loaded .22-caliber automatic weapon at the time of his arrest, King said. Police recovered the crowbar Mundy was allegedly using. Because of similarities between this incident and the eight other burglaries over the past three weeks, University Police suspect that Mundy is the man who broke into eight houses between 38th and 42nd streets since September 17. It was not immediately clear last night whether Mundy had been charged with the eight other burglaries. King said officials will compare fingerprints found at the older crime scenes to Mundy's to see if they match. And while there may not be much physical evidence, the "common scheme and design" of the burglaries link them together to Mundy, he added. The burglar gained entry to most the other houses by prying open the bars on the windows as well. The times of the burglaries and the objects stolen are also similar. The pursuit of the suspect indirectly caused a car accident at the intersection of 38th and Spruce streets. A University Police car driving south on 38th Street toward the scene went through a red light at the intersection, and crashed into a taxi cab driving east on Spruce Street. The driver, Officer Oscar Benjamin, was placed on a stretcher and taken by ambulance to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. King said he has been released from the hospital and his condition is not serious, though he is being given some time off. There were two passengers in the taxi, at least one of whom is a Penn student. They were taken to HUP and treated for minor injuries. Hospital officials refused to release any information on any of the patients. King said police are still investigating the accident. Daily Pennsylvanian staff writer Azmat Yusuf contributed to this report.