More than 125 Engineering students attended a precursor to October's Career Day Monday night. When Career Services Assistant Director Rosette Pyne asked who was ready for October's Engineering Career Day at a preparatory event Monday night, the Towne Hall audience remained deadly silent. But by the end of the evening, the 125 upperclassmen who attended the event were at least a few steps closer to being ready. Resumes in hand, the students listened to a panel of Engineering alumni who had been there and done that. The group of corporate managers, engineers and scientists offered "real world" advice about corporate industry and the interviewing process in a two-hour question-and-answer session. "Think of yourself as a tube of toothpaste, and you have to get them to buy you," advised Maria Shchuka, who earned undergraduate and doctoral degrees from the University and is now employed by paper maker Union Camp Corporation. The event also included mock interviews in which students campaigned for positions in the panelists' firms. "I was nervous, but if I can do that in a real interview, I think I'll be set," said Engineering senior Marie Sedran, a Civil Engineering Systems major. "The feedback that the other student [participants] received was also really helpful." Panelists offered other tips as well. Good communication skills, a positive attitude, the willingness to ask good questions and persistence were all qualities sought by industries -- in addition to a strong grade point average. Familiarity with finance and economics were also pointed out as beneficial skills. Michael Kaufman, a 1970 Engineering graduate and current vice president of worldwide licensing and acquisitions for Johnson & Johnson, noted: "We need bright creative people who can think and solve problems and are passionate about the things they do. If you learn how to solve problems in one discipline, in a global age, you can apply those skills in whatever you do." Several panelists also said internships and senior engineering projects were other ways in which Penn students could stand out in the increasingly competitive engineering field. With Career Day coming up on October 14, most of the Engineering students agreed that the session was worthwhile. "It's great that Penn alums like to help undergraduates," senior Bioengineering major Vesal Dini said. "It is a huge opportunity to meet future employers and to prepare to present myself well." Pyne added that "alumni's willingness to participate is what makes Penn a great place. It makes a difference to hear their insight and valuable advice." Last year's Career Day garnered Engineering students more than 3,000 interviews. This year the expectations are even higher. According to Pyne, "It's a reflection of the quality of education and caliber of students. Penn engineers are in great demand."