Only a few months out of school himself, 1998 College graduate Harold Shields is already hard at work, figuring out how to make good on his recent pledge to help send a group of youngsters to college. Shields -- who attended the University on a full scholarship, as part of the "Say Yes to Education" program -- was searching for a way to give back when he announced his plan to start a scholarship fund for the graduating fifth-grade class of Philadelphia's Belmont Elementary School. Shields' announcement at Belmont's June graduation ceremony came exactly 11 years after University alumnus George Weiss made an offer of his own to the 1987 graduating class at Belmont, of which Shields was a part. The elementary school went up to sixth grade at the time. When Weiss, a Connecticut philanthropist, offered to send all 112 members of the class to college, for free, Shields took full advantage of the offer. And more than a decade later, armed with a degree in psychology, he is out to make an impact on the lives of the next generation -- insofar as he is able. Weiss has already poured over $5 million into the Say Yes program, which was designed to encourage students to stay in school. Although Shields is one of only seven members of the original class to have received a bachelor's degree so far, Weiss said he expects another 34 will graduate in the coming year. Shields may not yet have the means to provide a free ride for every deserving student, but he has promised to put aside $30 a week for seven years -- enough for 10 scholarships of $1,000 each. And that's not even counting investment income and community help which he has solicited -- and received. Shields said he has received several donations since his June announcement, ranging from $12 to $10,000. Relying on his own $10,000, Shields had initially thought he would only have enough to offer the 10 "most promising" students a scholarship, but in light of the additional funds, he said he hopes to be able to help a greater portion of the 58-member class. "The response has been great so far," Shields said. "It would be great if we could get a scholarship for each and every one of the students." Before taking his proposal to the public, Shields confided his idea in April to both Weiss and Graduate School of Education Fellow Norman Newberg, who is the executive director of Say Yes. Newberg, who helped develop the Say Yes program, called Shields' offer "magnificent." "Harold has always been a very thoughtful person, so his offer doesn't surprise me at some level," Newberg said. "When I interviewed him in 1996, he said was interested in giving back to the community in some way -- he was one of the few Say Yes kids that said that." Although Newberg said he was initially concerned that Shields might be taking on too much for a young person, he soon discovered what he described as "an "unfaltering determination" in Shields. "I was overwhelmed," Newberg explained. "I mean, this is what you hope for -- that people who have been given a lot will find some way to give back." Weiss, who was in attendance for Shields' announcement, echoed Newberg's feelings of pride. "I think it's phenomenal, it's exactly what I'm always trying to teach to the Say Yes kids," Weiss explained. "If someone makes a change in your life, you should try to turn around and make a change in someone else's life." But both Newberg and Weiss were adamant that although they will offer administrative advice, the responsibility will lie entirely with Shields to raise the funds. "Harold's got to run with this on his own," Weiss said. "He asked me if I would match him. I said no."