Penn finished tied for 34th place at the ECAC meet, scoring 6 points. A long season reached its conclusion last weekend as the Penn women's track team tied with William & Mary and Massachusetts for 34th place at the 1998 ECAC championship. Two weeks after taking fifth place at the Heps championship, Penn once again finished fifth among the Heptagonal teams at the ECAC meet, which was won by host George Mason. The Quakers received their six points from two individuals -- triple jumper Aqiyla Muhammad and shot putter Luana Botelho. Muhammad and Botelho, both juniors, finished sixth in their respective events, earning three points apiece for Penn. Muhammad leaped 38'5" in the triple jump for her second best outdoor performance ever. Botelho tossed the shot 44'10.25", just over an inch behind fifth-place finisher Allison Cardlin of Dartmouth. Although Botelho and Muhammad were the only Quakers to earn points for the team, several other Penn athletes contributed quality showings in their events. "Performances across the board were very good and very respectable," Penn assistant coach Tony Tenisci said. One performance that was particularly promising for the Quakers was turned in by freshman Ami Desai. Desai cleared 9'4.5" in the pole vault, an event which was making its first appearance at the ECAC meet. Since the pole vault was in its inaugural year, it was contested as an exhibition event and was not scored. If the event had been scored, Desai would have finished tied for seventh and would have scored one point. The future looks bright for Desai. After placing high as a freshman, Desai should improve during the next three years -- when the pole vault will be scored. In addition, freshman Amy Nichols performed well against the ECAC competition. Nichols threw the discus 131'1" for 22nd place. "We had two freshmen perform well at this meet, which was nice for us," Tenisci said. "It's nice to have freshmen there with the upperclasspeople." Several upperclass athletes also turned in good performances. Senior Dawn McGee ran 14.57 in the 100 meter high hurdles, just two weeks after running a disappointing 14.94 at Heps. Like McGee, senior sprinter Jen Roy performed well at her last ECAC meet. Roy ran 56.61 in the 400 meters and then joined with Jessica Mitchell, Bassey Adjah and Vicki Moore to run 3:47.3 for 13th place in the 4x400 meter relay. Penn has run faster times in the 4x400 several times this season, including a school record of 3:43.7. In addition to the slow 4x400 time, another relay disappointment came in the 4x100, in which Penn was disqualified for dropping the baton. Despite the relay troubles, Tenisci still views the meet as a success. "As a coach, you always want more," Tenisci said. "But we're extremely pleased with our two sixth place finishes." Penn's six points are more than the five scored at last year's meet, in which only one Penn athlete scored. Things look bright for the Quakers, as both point scorers and several top performers will return next season. For 14 Penn women track athletes, however, this season is not yet complete. The Quakers will take a week off before beginning training for their European trip, which begins June 15.