After four years of selling discount textbooks outside The Book Store, Campus Text Inc. is preparing to move to a new location. The Bala Cynwyd, Pa.-based company has yet to receive University permission to remain in its spot under the 38th Street footbridge, where it sells books at reduced prices out of a Ryder truck during the first few weeks of each semester. Campus Text needs permission because of a May 1997 agreement between the small company and Penn, which settled a lawsuit the company filed in September 1996 against the University, the City of Philadelphia and bookstore owner Barnes & Noble College Bookstores Inc. for allegedly harassing Campus Text's employees. Michael Saewitz, co-owner of Campus Text, refused to disclose the business' proposed new location, which he said is "ideal" and convenient for students. An attorney for Campus Text owners Saewitz and Doug Levy -- a 1995 Penn graduate -- wrote a letter to University Associate General Counsel Robert Terrell dated February 25, which formally requested permission to stay. They have yet to receive a response to that letter, a second letter or repeated phone calls, Saewitz said. According to the settlement agreement, Campus Text had to abide by certain conditions, such as where it can market its products and when it can sell books. In return, the University pledged not to hold the lawsuit against Campus Text when deciding whether to allow them to stay. Terrell said last week he "will respond" to the request, but refused to comment beyond that. "It's being considered," Terrell said. "I'll respond to them, not to the press." The Office of the Executive Vice President will likely make the decision, Terrell added. But now, Saewitz said he expects the company to be in a new spot this fall. "We're not throwing in the towel and we're not going to be bullied out of business," Saewitz said. He said the space is on private property, and he is currently "in negotiations" with the owner. The settlement with the University stipulates that the company cannot sell from any street directly adjacent to a Penn-owned building unless Penn approves. Nevertheless, Saewitz pledged that the new location will be convenient to students. Saewitz said he is "disappointed" but not "shocked" about the University's failure to formally respond. "It bothers me and it tells me they aren't acting in good faith, whereas we have," he said. The letter to Terrell asks to remain in the current location for one to three years. "Campus Text has honored the terms and conditions of the settlement agreement and believes that the University will act in good faith at this time by renewing the license granted under the agreement," said the letter, signed by attorney Phillip Berger. According to one University official familiar with the discussions, the Office of the General Counsel didn't want to respond until City Council passed the long-awaited vending ordinance, which will regulate vending on and around campus. But the "needs and interests" of Campus Text differ from other vendors -- which for the most part sell food -- and the company should not be considered part of that group, the letter says. Council unanimously approved the Penn-endorsed vending bill last week. The Penn Book Store is operated by Barnes & Noble and is scheduled to move this summer to the under-construction Sansom Common complex at 36th and Walnut streets, about two blocks from where Campus Text currently operates.