In an effort to reach a final compromise in the ongoing controversy over regulating vending on and around campus, a consumer group called on all parties involved in the dispute to hammer out a unified proposal at a campus meeting later this week. The proposal would then be sent to Philadelphia City Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell, who would introduce it to council for debate and an eventual vote. Earlier this month, Blackwell had called on the University, the University City Vendors Alliance and the Penn Consumer Alliance to negotiate a unified proposal to submit to her after the groups clashed over the precise terms of the new ordinance. Members of the consumer group hope Thursday's meeting will lead to an accepted version of the bill, according to PCA spokesperson Matthew Ruben. The problems between the University and vendor and consumer groups began last May when Penn submitted a proposal for an ordinance regulating vending to Blackwell. The community groups have sought to make the proposal less restrictive. It was unclear last night whether the Penn administration would send representatives to the meeting. Jack Shannon, Penn's top economic development official, and Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Carol Scheman did not return telephone calls for comment last night. "This is an issue that will affect the entire University community, as well as the vendors, local businesses and Penn's neighbors," said Ruben, an English graduate student, adding that "it is essential that all of these stakeholders play a role in the decision-making process." University officials have sought to regulate vending on and around campus for several years, citing safety concerns and the vendors' negative effect on Penn's ability to lure attractive retailers to the area. UCVA spokesperson Scott Goldstein said he believes the meeting could result in a final compromise -- that is, if the University cooperates with the other groups. Although the consumer group hopes to hold the meeting at 4:30 p.m. in the Quadrangle's McClelland Hall -- where University Council meetings are normally held -- it is waiting for the University to waive the fee for using the space. The PCA expects to receive the waiver, Ruben said. But if Penn officials refuse to lift the charge, the meeting will be held in Houston Hall. The PCA has invited representatives from a number of groups -- including the UCVA and the administration, as well as groups representing students, faculty members and staff -- to the meeting. Representatives from these groups would form a 14-member committee that will vote on a course of action, such as endorsing one proposal for submission to Blackwell or choosing one proposal as a basis for submission and fine-tuning it later.