Members of the University Orchestra will soon trade dining hall food for wine and cheese, as they prepare to embark on the organization's first international tour of France. The student orchestra will spend January 3-10 at the University of Compiegne in France, where they will perform a concert for children and a gala evening open to the public. A third concert will be held later in Paris. The players will perform pieces by both American and international composers, including Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring" and Maurice Ravel's "Pavane." The European excursion is the result of two years of planning, and completes an exchange program between Penn and Compiegne that began when the French ensemble performed in Philadelphia last spring. While in France, Penn performers will enjoy food and housing provided by Campiegne. The University's Music Department and the College of Arts and Sciences are collaborating to help students pay for airfare. But the largest donation for the trip came from Penn alumni Alan and Judy Fellheimer, who also sponsor a scholarship fund for graduate students interested in music. Orchestra Conductor Ricardo Averbach said that although he has previously performed as a concert pianist in France, he looks forward to this trip as his first opportunity to visit the country as a conductor. "We decided to prepare a whole new program specifically for the tour," Averbach noted. "We have held extra practices as well." He added that he "hope[s] that the orchestra will be able to travel more frequently, like other Ivy League schools." Principal second violinist and University Orchestra President Naveen Seth also said he is excited to tour France, although this is not his first international performance. He and his sister Monisha, a Medical student who is also a violinist, will perform together in Johann Sebastian Bach's "Double Violin Concerto." "It is a great experience for students to be able to go to another country to represent not only the University, but America as a whole," the College junior said. "I hope it will increase the University Orchestra's prominence, not only there, but on Penn's campus, too." Nursing sophomore Christina Perry, the orchestra's vice president, noted that she looks forward to the group's European debut as part of its anniversary celebration. "This year is the orchestra's 120th anniversary," she explained. "In celebration, we are planning a year to remember. We've put a lot of preparation into this and we hope it will be a success." But Seth stressed that preparing for the trip will be more than just fun and games. "Unfortunately, I'm going to have to spend my winter vacation taking a crash course in French," he said.