It's that time again. Students begin to pull all-nighters in preparation for a slew of exams, peppering their studying with revitalizing late-night snack breaks. But those heading to Chats -- the popular, cashless dining spot in the Class of 1920 Commons -- this week might be surprised to discover that the prices of their burritos and pizzas have increased. Effective November 29, the 15 percent "across-the-board" price increase affects items at Tomassito's and Casa Solana, Chats Retail Manager Gary Brodbeck said. "The food costs are out of whack over there," he said, adding that the increase was necessary due to continuously rising wholesale food costs. Although such costs have risen over the last two years, Chats prices have not followed suit until now, according to Adam Sherr, the marketing and meal contract coordinator for Dining Services. "It was a difficult decision," he said. Sherr was alerted to student anger over the price increase by several messages posted to the upenn.talk newsgroup last week. College senior Ed Lion, for example, posted numerous messages to the newsgroup calling the new prices "outrageous." Lion, who frequented Chats before the increase, said he is "not going back," adding that he's discussing a possible boycott of the establishment with other campus groups and individuals. Student anger to the increase comments "was getting out of control," prompting Sherr to respond to such concerns on the newsgroup in Brodbeck's absence. Brodbeck and Sherr denied accusations by students claiming that officials raised the prices to increase the University's profits, and stressed that the price increases were prompted solely by rising food costs. "This has not been the most comfortable year," Brodbeck said in reference to Chats' finances. He explained that Chats has not been "breaking even" financially, and needed to raise prices to return to a "middle mark." Brodbeck added that Chats officials "purposely try to price items lower than the market [price]." Because Chats deducts purchases from a debit account or charges them to students' bursar bills -- instead of accepting cash -- many students eat there regularly. Any profit Chats makes is "dumped back into the system" in the form of renovations and computers for student use, Brodbeck added. Prices on Chats' most popular selection -- personal pizzas -- increased about 40 cents. College senior Rene Zeller complained about the inconvenient timing of the price increase. Although Zeller said he acknowledged the reasons for the increase, he stressed that it was "kind of upsetting?.It would have been better if [the price increases] were beginning next semester." Lion and Zeller also complained that the increase coincided with exam periods, when students are more likely to use Chats as a late-night food option.