In response to the recent outbreak of alcohol-related violence on campus, the InterFraternity Council wants to "create a safer social environment for Penn students" by extending weekend parties a little longer. The IFC passed a resolution Tuesday encouraging the administration to lengthen late-night Spectaguard patrol shifts, thereby allowing parties to stay open until 3:30 a.m. University Police currently shut down events at 2 a.m. to allow party-goers to return home before the lighter police watch begins at 3 a.m. Under the resolution, fraternities would still be required to stop serving alcohol by 1:45 a.m., as mandated by Pennsylvania law. But a "dry period" before 3:30 a.m. would enable party-goers to sober up before leaving, thus reducing the "inclination for violence," the document states. IFC officials said they would take "great measures" to ensure that no alcohol is served after 1:45 a.m. IFC President Matt Baker, a College and Engineering senior, said the organization would implement this provision through the graduate student observers program. These observers would visit each party a short time before 2 a.m. and then again some time after 2 a.m. to make sure all bars in fraternity houses were closed and that students were not continuing to drink. Baker said his organization approved the resolution to show support of the Undergraduate Assembly's recent resolution asking the University to extend Spectaguard shifts until 4 a.m. Before the UA votes on the issue -- originally proposed by the UA's West Philadelphia committee -- Sunday, the body wanted to get the backing of the IFC, according to UA Greek Life Committee Chairperson and IFC Judicial Manager Mike Steib. Steib added that many students would likely leave parties before the 3:30 a.m. shutdown, allowing for a "slower stream" of students returning home. The IFC resolution states that "the risk of the undesired interaction which has been leading to spontaneous acts of violence" will be reduced by fewer students walking the streets at any given time. Director of Police Operations Maureen Rush estimated that a one-hour extension of late-night Spectaguard shifts would cost the University $685 per night, according to UA Chairperson and IFC Secretary Noah Bilenker, a College junior. Steib stressed that the money would contribute to student safety, adding "this is pennies compared to what the University spends [on security] every year." But Baker said he doubted the administration would approve the proposal. "Honestly, I don't think it's going to happen," he said. "From what I've heard, Dr. Rodin does not really support it because of the increased expenses. "The University traditionally has been stingy in allocating additional funds to student groups, especially when its associated with the Greek system," Baker added. IFC Executive Vice President and Sigma Alpha Mu brother Jordan Matusow said that although University administrators "agree upon the principles" of the resolution, the issue is "going to come down to funding." But IFC Vice President for the 21st Century Plan Aaron Kotok said the resolution is "a reasonable request." "It makes the streets much safer after parties, which is what everyone at the University is aiming for," the Pi Kappa Phi brother said. Despite the apparent opposition from administrators, IFC members voted on the resolution to "show our support for [the proposal] and any attempt to solve the violence problem," Baker said.