The Harvard Crimson CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (U-WIRE) -- Harvard doesn't have a Homecoming. So it borrowed Dartmouth's to celebrate the Crimson's rise to sole possession of the Ivy league lead. Harvard (6-1, 4-0 Ivy) took Dartmouth (5-2, 3-1 Ivy) out behind thewoodshed for an old-fashioned whuppin', as its defense pitched a shutout and the offense jumped on Dartmouth for big plays early. The 24-0 final result means Harvard's first 4-0 start in the Ivy League since 1984 and also guarantees its first winning season in 10 full years. Sophomore wide receiver Terence Patterson provided the big-play offense for Harvard, scoring three touchdowns, one on a 62-yard reverse and another on a 45-yard bomb. He ended up with 11 receptions for 121 yards. The defense, which had let some leads slip away in the past, suffocated Dartmouth, allowing minus three yards rushing total. That statistic is even more impressive considering that the Crimson defense relaxed and allowed a 21-yard run on the last play of the game. Harvard also put Dartmouth quarterback Pete Sellers into his school's record books. The senior threw five interceptions, each to a different Harvard defender. Three of the interceptions were tipped then caught, which indicates how much pressure the Crimson defensive line was able to put on the quarterback. "Defensively we played about as well as we can play," said Harvard Coach Tim Murphy. "It really wouldn't have mattered today how many points we scored, we played so well. The offensive star early on for Harvard was Patterson, who got the ball in situations where he could showcase his athletic ability. His first touchdown was con ventional enough, a four-yard reception on a roll left by sophomore quarterback Rich Linden. Harvard then exploited the over-aggressive Dartmouth defense on its next possession, as sophomore running back Chris Menick swept right from the Harvard 35-yard line then handed off to Patterson. Patterson got great blocks by Linden and his offensive line, which was pancaking Dartmouth defenders 20 yards from the line. He put on a burst of speed and then dove into the end zone before he could be caught from behind. With the score still 14-0, Linden lobbed a ball up on the left side on a third-and-one. Patterson completely turned around cornerback Tom Ruesser and then ran away from him for a 45-yard score. Three plays afterward, senior defensive end Tim Fleiszer forced a fumble which was recovered at the Big Green 14-yard line. The Crimson could only muster a 22-yard field goal by sophomore Mike Giampaolo, but it turned out merely to be more cushion. Saturday reinforced the image that Harvard is a team of destiny. In four Ivy games this year, the defense has allowed just two touchdowns. Any questions which arose after earlier problems against Patriot League opponents Lehigh and Bucknell have been summarily dismissed. Beating Dartmouth, which had gone undefeated in its last15 league games, puts Harvard in the driver's seat for the league title. Therefore, the euphoria surrounding the win is understandable, even more so because the shutout was Harvard's first of Dartmouth since 1941. Three difficult games still lie between Harvard's first Ivy title since 1987. B