Members of the College of Arts and Sciences' Class of 2002 are in for a statistical treat when they arrive at the University next fall. The Committee on the Quantitative Analysis requirement has spent the past two months approving courses that will fulfill the new requirement -- focusing on the numerical analysis of data -- and hope to complete final course selection by the end of the semester. "We are about halfway through our task," Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs and committee member Kent Peterman noted, adding that the majority of the 31 courses already approved for the requirement are rooted in the physical and social sciences. Courses in the Physics and Psychology departments represent more than one-third of the total approved courses. A number of offerings are also concentrated in Sociology, Statistics and Biology. Anthropology 454: "Quantitative Analysis of Anthropological Data" and Urban Studies 200: "Introduction to Urban Research" constitute the only approved courses in their respective departments, but Peterman emphasized that the list is far from complete. The quantitative skills requirement, approved last February, cites "sophisticated thinking about quantitative evidence" as integral to contemporary society, future employment and personal decision-making. College students matriculating in fall 1998 and thereafter will be required to complete at least one course incorporating mathematical or statistical analysis of evidence. College Dean Robert Rescorla -- who appointed the initial committee -- said that students completing the requirement will have "sufficient fluency in working with quantitative information to make convincing arguments to other decision-makers." But Student Committee on Undergraduate Education Chairperson Ari Silverman said he was initially concerned about the broad nature of the new requirement and its potential for overlapping with the existing General Requirement in Formal Reasoning and Analysis. Four courses that already fulfill the Sector IV requirement have been approved for the quantitative skills requirement, committee member and College senior Adam Litwin noted. But Peterman said the majority of courses found under the Formal Reasoning and Analysis requirement, such as those in Computer science, Linguistics and Philosophy, do not hone quantitative skills. He added that the committee hopes to identify more courses in the humanities, particularly courses that may double-count for the Society, History and Tradition, and Arts and Letters General Requirements. "Most students will satisfy this requirement while satisfying other General Requirements or requirements in their majors," he said. "We are not eager to add another course that places a burden on students." But courses in the humanities have yet to be approved for the requirement. "We must look for courses where there is a natural fit," committee Chairperson Ingrid Waldron explained. "We're not trying to distort education," the Biology Department chairperson added. "We're only trying to enhance existing courses." Yet English Professor Rebecca Bushnell said the committee is trying to encourage humanities professors to create more quantitative-oriented courses. She cited the possibility of incorporating these analytical tools into history of language courses or those focusing on literature and science. Waldron said the committee's sharpened criteria still allows for a wide range of courses, spanning a variety of disciplines. "Hopefully each person will fulfill this requirement on a topic that genuinely interests them," Waldron said.