New residential plans would combine the Van Pelt and Modern Language college houses next fall. The new, expanded Van Pelt College House could be a house divided when it opens next fall, if current student opposition to the combination of the Van Pelt and Modern Language college houses continues. According to residential plans released two weeks ago by the University, the two programs will remain in their current locations on the 3900 block of Spruce Street, but MLCH will cease to be an independent program. MLCH had been plagued by low levels of student interest over the past few years. The two houses will stay in different buildings, but both will be renamed the Van Pelt College House, and all programs will be run out of what is now Van Pelt. At a Monday night meeting, Residential Faculty Council President and Van Pelt Faculty Master Al Filreis told residents of both houses that neither facility would take over the other, adding that phrasing the plan as an "incorporation" of MLCH was a mistake. But Modern Language residents continued to voice their displeasure with the new plans at that meeting and another later that night for leaders of both houses. The sessions were scheduled following an angry meeting between MLCH residents and Director of Academic Programs in Residence Chris Dennis. Filreis said the problems arose from misunderstandings about the new system among MLCH residents, but were largely resolved at the meeting of house leaders. Wharton sophomore and MLCH House Council President Mike Rogan agreed that most of the issues have been worked out, but stressed that administrators must understand that the changes will take MLCH residents time to get used to. Rogan added that MLCH residents weren't involved in the month-long discussion process before the new residential plans were finalized, and are still shocked by the decision to discontinue MLCH's status as a college house. But MLCH students at the first meeting -- who did not attend the later meeting of house leaders -- said they are still upset that the program would not retain its independence. "We really enjoy what we have together, and we fear losing that," Nursing junior Beth Scanlon said. Slavic Languages Professor Peter Steiner, faculty master of MLCH, said he is encouraged to see the students concerned for the future of their program. "We are a kind of marginalized house -- speaking tongues and living in Siberia," Steiner said. "It's exciting to see the students so concerned about the program. I mean, they are willing to die for it." Modern Languages residents argue that the new system presents a major threat to their program. It would move Van Pelt students into any vacant MLCH rooms, which MLCH residents worry would interfere with their activities. "The strength of MLCH is that you have a lot of students in a small space who speak a lot of languages, and when you put people in there who speak less languages, you dilute the program," College sophomore Ariel Soiffer said. Objections to the merger provoked angry responses from some Van Pelt residents, who complained that their future housemates were acting too exclusive. Other Van Pelt residents welcomed the thought of community and increased interaction between the two programs. "This is an opportunity to have more people to talk to, and nothing is going to change," College sophomore Barbara Duker said. College junior Myra Lotto added that "it's not necessarily that I thought of [MLCH residents] as pompous," and that "they're just afraid of losing their programming. But what they have to realize is if they take action they won't lose that programming." Many MLCH residents said University assurances that the program should work are not enough, and several students said a failed experiment would force them to leave the house. "It is not enough to tell us that maybe it will work because many students like myself will leave next year if it doesn't turn out well," Soiffer said. Residents also expressed anger that the new college house would be called Van Pelt -- not Modern Language. And students were upset that Filreis would become faculty master of the two buildings in the house, shifting Steiner from faculty master to a faculty member in residence. Steiner, who as a Van Pelt faculty member in residence will continue to direct the Modern Language programs, said he believes his position will not really change except for the shift in titles. "It sounds like not much will change, and I will continue to be head of program," he said. "But there are going to be 12 college houses and 12 masters, and obviously we are being merged and I'm being axed." Art History Professor David Brownlee, who wrote one of the reports that led the University to adopt a college house system, assured students that Steiner would remain an integral part of the house and that the combined Van Pelt name is merely temporary. "It makes no sense for us to fuss about a house name that will change when we get a big donor to sponsor the house," Brownlee said. "In fact, those of you who have wealthy parents should note this as an opportunity to have the house named after you." In response to student concerns that the loss of the house's mandatory dining plan would undermine house unity, Filreis assured them that they may retain their current plan if they wish. In addition, he said Van Pelt and MLCH can decide how independent their budgets and programs will be next year. After last night's meeting of house leaders, Filreis said he was hopeful that the differences had been worked out among the leaders and that the y can in turn calm individual members of the houses. But Rogan said he was not as confident that the meeting would soothe student fears. "It's going to take time and now is just not the time," he said. "I expect there will be some animosity from certain house members next fall."