As the Penn men's basketball team builds toward opening day next month, several players are hurting. The start of practice raised questions of who would and wouldn't be around to get into this swing with the rest of the young team. Several injuries have prevented the Quakers from beginning at full strength. "We're just trying to get everyone on the same page and get ready for that first game," Quakers point guard Michael Jordan said. Junior power forward Paul Romanczuk is on the top of the list of concerns. Last year's team leader in rebounds (5.1 rpg) has been unable to participate in workouts due to a stress fracture near the knee. "I am going to guess that [the doctors] are going to want to bone scan again to make sure until they give him the full go ahead," Dunphy said. The Quakers will be without last year's starting power forward at least until the the third week of November. Romanczuk will miss the Red and Blue scrimmage on November 8, but he should be available by opening night against the Rice. · The first week of practice began without the services of yet another junior forward who was in the spotlight much of last year for the Quakers. Jed Ryan was unable to take part in any full-contact practice due to an elbow infection that manifested itself, causing inflammation. "It is pretty much gone now, so I am back, today is my first day of full contact this year," Ryan said Monday. "My wind might be a little bit down, but other than that I should be good." Ryan's injury occurred off the court, but became worse as he began to workout in basketball situations. Precautionary bandages and wrappings are being used to ensure the elbow will stay healthy. Ryan's 10.7 points and 33 minutes a game shouldn't be in jeopardy though, as his mobility has not been effected and his condition should be back to par within the next week. · From one end of the injury stick to another: After a frustrating year of recovery for junior Frank Brown, the versatile forward is finally at full strength. "I think Frank is going to help us a lot this year," Jordan said. "He is a big, able body, and strong. He will help our rebounding. I am sure he will make a great contribution this year." In his freshman year, Brown contributed adequately, building high expectations for his sophomore year, before it was plagued by injury. He saw time in 27 games, starting five, and averaging 3.3 ppg. Spending essentially the entire year trying to regain health, Brown saw 13 minutes of time in only one game, the 100-82 victory over Lehigh. Brown will certainly be competing for time at the three-spot with Ryan and sophomore Matt Langel. "He has a little rust," Dunphy said. "But he is somebody that is a significant other in our program, and hopefully he is going to have a real good year for us." · Another Quaker whose status is questionable is sophomore Geoff Owens. He has been unable to practice with the team to this point, and is not attending practice. The 6'11" Owens set a Penn rookie record with 40 blocked shots. Owens finished strong last season, and stirred hopes of breaking the Penn single-season record for blocked shots of 51, held by Hassan Duncombe. "I wish I had a definitive status, but I don't," said Dunphy, who would not discuss the nature of the problem. "It is more of a health issue, it is not an injury." Dunphy stated that there is no real timetable for Owens, but that he is being checked out and seeking opinions. · As a final note, practices have focused on the defensive side of the ball. The injuries to the big men, and the leave of absence of Owens, leaves a question about shot blocking and rebounding, but pressure and trapping have been Dunphy's objective. "The focus is definitely on defense," Jordan said. "If the other team doesn't score we have a great chance to win." So, are we looking at Mike Fratello ball out of Penn? "No, we'll still shoot the ball, too," said Jordan, laughing.