David Kaufman, who touched many lives in West Philadelphia and around Penn in the 48 years he owned University Jewelers, died late last month at age 82. Kaufman began his business with his brother Norman in 1936, opening a store at 34th Street and Woodland Avenue. During his tenure, the store moved to three other locations and now resides at 3734 Walnut Street -- a few doors down from the Penn Book Center. Many praised Kaufman -- who died from peripheral vascular disease, heart disease, renal failure and chronic congestive heart failure -- for his significant contributions to campus life. Lillian, his wife of 34 years, noted that the University constantly asked him to engrave plaques, trophies and other items. And in 1983, former University President Sheldon Hackney, who now teaches in the History Department, recognized the Kaufman brothers' achievements. He presented the two with a plaque stating that University Jewelers is not merely another store on campus, but "an institution at the University." When Kaufman retired in 1985, the University presented him with a red hardwood chair as a token of gratitude. He was even asked to engrave his own name on the plaque that appears on the chair, noted his wife. "These chairs are usually given to retiring professors and doctors," she said. "It just goes to show how great his impact was on the University." His niece Sandy Morrow, who refers to Kaufman as "Unc," recalled a conversation she had with the rabbi who conducted Kaufman's funeral service. The rabbi told her that since her uncle died so close to Rosh Hashanah, few people would likely attend his funeral. But with only a half day's notice, more than 400 people came to pay their last respects to their friend. "Unc made an impact on every single person that crossed his path -- whether you were his relative or whether you just checked his coat," Morrow said. At the funeral, people who did not know Kaufman well kept asking if he had been a politician, because they had trouble understanding how a single man could have had such an impact on the Philadelphia area. "He was a wonderful and remarkable person," Lillian said. "He never thought of himself first but of other people." Khyber Kaufman, David's 18-year-old grandnephew, wrote a letter to his family expressing the love and respect he had for his great uncle. "With a wink, he could make the sun rise," Khyber wrote. "He always gave of himself and in return received unending pleasure." When Kaufman retired, Fred and Lois Green took over ownership of University Jewelers. Although the Greens spoke with Kaufman from time to time, their relationship was strictly business. The current owners said the store will remain on campus when the building it is housed in is demolished next year to make way for a new Wharton complex. Lillian said everyone who knew her husband will greatly miss him. "Whether you knew him for five minutes or five years? everyone was touched by my husband."