With a new office on the eighth floor of Williams Hall, the Asian American Studies program continued its celebration of the fifth annual Asian Pacific American Heritage Week at a ribbon-cutting ceremony yesterday. Although an ASAM minor was established last March, the ribbon-cutting ceremony marked the "true legitimization of the program," Asian American Studies Undergraduate Board Chairperson and College junior Andrea Cherng said, adding that the ceremony marked an official beginning of what will be a "thriving program at Penn." College Dean Robert Rescorla, who cut the ribbon with Cherng, stressed that "by giving it a place, the program can start to develop." Rescorla also commended ASAM Director Rosane Rocher for establishing and developing the program amidst University-wide faculty downsizing. Rocher explained that it was appropriate to celebrate the ribbon-cutting ceremony in conjunction with the APA Heritage Week because both commemorate Asian-American achievement. "This is one week out of the semester where the Asian-American community celebrates its heritage, officially, which is what we study all year long," she said. The APA Heritage Week, with the theme, "Kaleidoscope: Many Faces, One Dream," represents the culmination of work by students, faculty and staff over a seven-month period. The $20,000 effort is the only one of its kind involving 18 different Asian groups across the University. This week, the campus will be exposed to the sights, sounds and tastes of the Asian-American community, which makes up 23 percent of all University students. Although in previous years the multicultural display was limited to a one-day indoor event, this year's celebration will continue over the next four days on Locust Walk. Each day will represent a different color highlighting three to six different Asian-American groups on campus. A culminating event Friday will feature 11 groups and lead to an extravaganza on College Green, where each Asian group will present performances, including a martial arts demonstration, a fan dance and a poetry reading. More than 250 children will be on campus Friday to trick-or-treat and make origami and egg rolls on College Green as a part of the Philadelphia's Youth Community Service project. Hye Heo, co-chairperson for the week and a College and Engineering senior, said bringing kids on to the campus is one way of "reaching out to the community in promoting Asian-American awareness." Heo added that Locust Walk and College Green are being used strategically to give the events more exposure. "You won't miss it," she said. "Everyone walking down Locust walk will know that it's APA Heritage Week." The groups will host a candlelight vigil Wednesday night, in honor of the Asian-American victims of hate-crimes in the United States. There has been a 17 percent increase in hate-crime directed at Asians and Asian Americans over the last year, according to a report from the the National Asian Pacific American Legal Consortium. This year's keynote speeches represent two extremes of the Asian American experience, Heo said. SLANT, a performing group that addresses Asian stereotypes in musical satire, will perform tonight in the University Museum's Harrison Auditorium at 7 p.m. And author Sonia Shah will present a keynote speech at 7 p.m. Thursday in Houston Hall's Bodek Lounge on Asian American feminism in light of her new book, Dragon Ladies: Asian American Feminists Breathe Fire. Friday, the annual Fashion Show, entitled "Reaction," will showcase traditional Asian fashion as well as modern attire designed by Asian American designers at 8 p.m. in Bodek. The week will conclude Saturday with "Iridescence" -- a charity gala and award ceremony.