Penn faces Syracuse, Central Conn., and Manhattan - three teams they haven't faced before. The volleyball team has a weekend that evokes thoughts of the famous Pieter Breughel painting, The Blind Leading the Blind. The result probably won't be the same, but taking on three opponents that no one on the team knows anything about, doesn't sound too good -- at least at first. The Quakers haven't played these teams during any of the players' careers, and it is too early for scouting reports to tell much. Still, eighth-year Penn coach Margaret Feeney doesn't foresee any of the three -- Syracuse, Central Connecticut and Manhattan -- as a great worry. "It'll be a little bit of a rough road in the beginning, maybe, with Syracuse being in the Big East, they will be real athletic," Feeney said. "But we can come come out of this tournament 3-0." The Quakers will look to their newly elected captains to keep the fire burning throughout the weekend. Heather Tillet, Megan McKay and K.C. Potter hold the honors, which were given out just yesterday. As a senior, junior and sophomore, respectively, the three give the team a nice balance of youth and experience as leaders. The three will be important to the success of the team, as primary players in the Quakers' nucleus. In a weekend when the team will be feeling around to get a rhythm for the year, none of the three seem any less than ecstatic to be playing this competition. "I think we need to keep our communication up, and if things start to break down, we have to return to the basics -- passing, talking and communicating," McKay said. "We play so much better when everyone is loud and fired up." With the rest of the country able to begin practice August 13, all three opponents have had more drilling time than the women. All three have begun match play as well, which the Quakers haven't. Syracuse comes into the weekend with a 4-3 overall record. In their last match against Siena, the Orangemen earned a victory in three straight games. What little the team does know is about the Orangemen. "We know that Syracuse makes mistakes in their hitting," Tillet said. "And that they are an athletic team." Feeney's "keep it simple" approach should allow the Quakers to figure out the Syracuse approach quickly. Focus on ball control and defense should allow the Quakers to capitalize on any such hitting errors. Tomorrow will bring a day much like the workouts of two weeks ago. Manhattan will be the opponent at 10 a.m., and Central Connecticut will take their shot at 5 p.m. Central Connecticut brings a 1-7 record into the match. The Quakers look to have an immediate advantage on paper. Slightly bigger and holding an advantage in the experience category, the match should be a good way to finish the weekend. Feeney will potentially field a lineup with two women new to the program. With some pending injuries, both Diana Meek and Angie Whittenburg may get the starting nod. Whittenburg, a sophomore transfer from Texas, has been unable to practice due to an injury. Senior outside hitter Jessica Luftman is also questionable for a start tomorrow due to injury, but will be available to play. Feeney feels comfortable with her outside hitting core for the year with Luftman and Meek having strong showings in practice. The middle blockers, Potter, Sue Sabatino and Karen Lewis, and the defense of McKay and Katy Stock are all expected to contribute as well. In all facets of the game, this weekend will prove a good tune-up for the Ivy League season. "The Ivy League conference is getting stronger and stronger. We have Ivy League teams beating Big East teams; we have Ivy League teams beating Atlantic-10 teams," Feeney said. "We are no longer the doormat of the East Coast." Regardless of the how the games against these three unknown opponents turn out, they will be a good starting point for the Quakers' season. Match play can finally start for the team and begin a season filled with high hopes. "I think we just need to come out confident. We've all worked really hard this preseason," Potter said. "I am just really excited to start playing." This simple desire to play should give the Quakers a boost for the weekend and beyond into the league season.