Four new faces join the Quakers, including two frosh and two sophomores. The women's volleyball team hopes to be the first to bring winning ways back to the Palestra floor in the '97 season. The march towards the "w's" started August 27th as workouts commenced in Weightman Hall, and culminated with a scrimmage against Drexel last Wednesday. During the five-game match, Penn coach Margaret Feeney and the rest of the Penn squad saw promising results. "As a team we were happy with what we were able to accomplish in a week's time," Feeney said. "I thought we had relatively good ball control which has really been a point of emphasis." In her eighth season at the helm of the Quakers, Feeney would like to see certain points of emphasis stay throughout the season. Ball control, defense, and consistency head the short list of goals. Led by a solid core of returning players the Quakers should be able to sustain the desired level of consistency quickly. Senior setter Heather Tillet, a returning starter, will give the Quakers such ball control. Tillet led the team in assists, as well as service aces, with a total of 37. "We have real strong middles," Feeney said. "If you are strong in the middle that will help our outside and right side hitters." Key returnees at the middle-blocker position include juniors Sue Sabatino and Karen Lewis, as well as sophomore K.C. Potter. The three should stop plenty of opposing kills from touching the Palestra floor. Local product Sabatino, returns to the Quakers as the Ivy League leader in blocks. With her 64 recorded solo blocks and 124 total, Sabatino solidifies a tough defensive front line. Lewis and Potter both showed the ability to step up in key situations in the '96 season. The two will be key ingredients in maintaining a defensive mentality and a strong blocking core. "I think our practices have been geared towards the defense," Sabatino said. "Our offense will improve as the blockers can open up more for the hitters." The offensive attack, although admittedly less of a focus, should nonetheless be tough. Led by senior team leader Jessica Luftman, the outside hitting should be steady and reliable. Luftman gave the team 185 kills last year. She exemplified the digging style that Feeney stresses, also contributing 229 digs, second on the team. The Quakers look to fill a solid lineup with some new blood after losing some old including outside hitter Abby Daniels, called a "big loss" by Tillet. The returnees will be aided by four fresh new faces, adding desired depth. "I feel real good with the incoming class because they've all got experience," Feeney said. "So they've hit the ground running." Penn's roster will include four new women -- freshmen Amy Schultz and Diana Meek, Angie Wittenburg, a sophomore transfer from Texas, and sophomore walk-on Karen Whitie. "I think they're going to be able to contribute a lot," Tillet said of the new players. "They seem to mesh pretty well. They're going to do some good things." The Quakers head into this week's practice looking to get a starting lineup solidified before the weekend's tournament in Syracuse. The Quakers will start the tournament with the Orangemen as their first real competition. They will then test themselves against the likes of Manahttan and Central Connecticut. If a starting lineup can mesh, the Quakers could find themselves in the middle of an Ivy League title race. In a league full of "parity", as Feeney put it, there is as much room for this group of players to step up as anyone else. "If this team continues to work hard, and things click and gel for us, then I think we could definitely be vying for an Ivy League championship in November," Feeney said.