Two years ago, Scott Gaskell and Steve Gross were on the Penn football team - as linebackers. Both the coaches and the players just hope the tight ends can hold onto the ball. That is not a typical expectation for a football team that has two seniors atop its depth chart. But for the 1997 edition of the Penn football team, there isn't enough experience at the position to expect much else. The top two tight ends, Steve Gross and Scott Gaskell, have a combined total of three starts and two catches for their Penn careers. Most of their game experience came on the other side of the ball, where they accumulated 16 combined tackles as linebackers. Gaskell only made the switch to tight end after last season, while Gross recorded seven tackles and a fumble recovery as a sophomore before switching to the other side of the ball. "It's a little different, but you have to do what you can to get better," Gaskell said. "When it comes pass time, we're going to go catch the ball." Throw in new tight ends coach John Reagan and new quarterback Matt Rader, and it becomes obvious why the desire of offensive coordinator Chuck Priore is nothing more specific than a general "consistency" in his tight ends' blocking and catching skills, especially early in the season. "We've been working all summer catching the rock," Gross said. "It's the same offense, just a different quarterback, so it doesn't really matter. Offense is easier because you know your job, and you know the snap count." "As far as confidence, I think we are both confident, we know what we have to do," said Gross. "I'm just doing my job. If they throw me the ball, I'm more than happy to catch it." The rest of the team will be more than happy if they catch it, too. There are, however, a number of factors which favor Gross and Gaskell in their on-the-job offensive training. For one, Priore called them "the two strongest guys on the team," pointing out that both can bench press nearly 400 pounds and squat nearly 600, so they should have no trouble holding up to the physical stress of playing on the offensive line. Additionally, their defensive experience should help them to pick up rushes and read the opposing teams formations. The two also spent the entire summer on campus working on their skills. This extra effort has impressed Reagan, who sees little difference between his new pupils and those at his former employer, Big 12 member Oklahoma State. "[Being at an Ivy League school] is a whole different realm," Reagan said. "Here at Penn, these guys are committed and dedicated. They have the persistence to work harder." Injuries at any position will clearly hurt the Quakers, but the problem might be more acute if either Gross of Gaskell goes down because of senior Travis Arbogast's decision to leave the team. Arbogast's departure leaves only sophomore Brandon Clay on the sidelines, and Priore has already said that if a third tight end is needed it will be up to sophomore I-back Brian Cosmello to fill the roll. "It's [Arbogast's] decision," Gross said. "It cuts down our numbers, but if he didn't want to play, that's it. Just move on." Penn plays a scrimmage tomorrow against Millersville in a match that will provide a much-needed look at a physically capable but inexperienced group of tight ends.