A young corps of offersive linemen hopes to be as successful as the line was in 1996. Last season, Penn running back Jasen Scott made his way into the record books as just the fourth Quakers back to rush for 1,000 yards in a single season. The senior first-team All-Ivy pick became the talk of Franklin Field, reaching the end zone 11 times in 10 games. As Scott eclipsed all expectations for single-season yardage and touchdowns, the line's blocking for the 5'10'' back often went unnoticed. Anonymity isn't uncommon for offensive linemen, often overshadowed by the backs and receivers, who make the glamorous plays and score touchdowns. But then again, nobody ever said offensive line is a glamour position. "It all starts with the offensive line," Penn right tackle Chris Riley said. "There aren't many running backs who can play well in a game when the offensive line isn't playing well. In a way, their success relies on the offensive line." Last season, line was the strength of the Quakers offense. From left to right, 340-pound Sears Wright, 280-pound Mark Fleishhauer, 270-pound Mike Soyster, 250-pound Matt Julien and 280-pound Riley were a force to be reckoned with. Wright, Julien and Fleishhauer, however, all graduated last year, leaving seniors Soyster and Riley as the only linemen with starting experience. The newcomers bequeath the uneasy task of replacing Julien and Wright, both All-Ivy selections, and Fleishhauer, an academic All-Ivy. "They are going to need to get themselves into some realistic experiences," Penn offensive coordinator Chuck Priore said. "They need to get into the thick of the fire and make some decisions on the move." Seniors Chris Cooney and Adam Conish are likely to step into the vacated guard positions. The duo share an almost identical physique, both measuring in at 6'2'', with Cooney tipping the scale at 260 and Conish at 265. Cooney will have one more year of football eligibility after this season, while for Conish, this season is a now-or-never shot at Penn's starting lineup. "With Adam Conish coming back and Chris Cooney's being around, we are pretty veteran on offensive line," Riley said, "even though we just return two starters." In addition, sophomore Carmelo Rubano (6'2'', 265) and junior Jesse Simonin (6'1'', 270) will see playing time at the guard positions. With a strong performance in the preseason scrimmages, either player may earn a shot at the starting lineup. Between the two guards, Soyster adds skill and experience. At the start of last season, the center position was a big Red and Blue question mark, with the State College, Pa., native trying to make the shift from defensive line. But with a year of experience under his belt, Soyster has established himself as stable in the middle, irrespective what quarterback is playing behind him. "At center, you're more worried about your defensive back and who you have to block than [the quarterback] behind you," Soyster said. On the outside, Riley returns to his familiar home at right tackle with sophomore Jason Lebron (6'6'', 290) the all-but confirmed starter on the left. Riley, a Morristown, N.J., native, hopes to follow in the footsteps of his brother, Sean, who earned second-team All-Ivy honors in his senior season at Dartmouth. Sophomore Mike Bertolino (6'5'', 260) also figures at tackle, likely sharing time with Lebron and serving as season-long competition for the starting right tackle position. A strong offensive line, dominating its defensive counterparts, has been a staple of Penn football since coach Al Bagnoli took the Quakers' reigns in 1992. Although often unnoticed, the line seems to get the job done. There's no better evidence of this than the fact that no matter who the ball carrier -- whether it be Terrance Stokes as in 1993-94 or Aman Abye and Deion Camp and Scott in '95, or Scott and Rick Granata in '96 -- the rushing game has consistently averaged better than three-and-a-half yards per carry. If this year's line can match those of previous Bagnoli squads, neophyte running backs Jason McGee, Bruce Rossignol and Melvin Alexander should have no trouble carrying the football into the end zone and propelling Penn to the top of the Ivy League.