The retail district will cost $120 million and is slated for completion by fall 1998. Wearing hard hats and carrying shovels, University and city officials took the first steps toward making their vision of an upscale retail district a reality during a ceremonial groundbreaking of the $120 million Sansom Common project June 20. Executive Vice President John Fry presided over the festivities, which coincided with the approval of $73 million for the first phase of the project by the University's Board of Trustees. The ceremony took place under a tent in the parking lot at 36th and Walnut streets, where construction on the new Barnes & Noble bookstore began later in the summer. In addition to the bookstore, scheduled to be completed in fall 1998, future phases of the project will include construction of the Inn at Penn -- a 250-room, full-service hotel -- renovation of the Graduate Towers and retail, restaurant and residential development on the 3600 and 3700 blocks of Sansom Street. Although the University has not yet executed any leases with specific tenants, Managing Director of Real Estate Tom Lussenhop said Penn officials have "been marketing this project to tenants for six to eight months now, and there is tremendous interest." He added that apparel and sporting goods stores, restaurants, cafes and bars will be brought into Sansom Common, and stressed that he will release specific names of the stores sometime this fall when leases are signed. "Some of the negotiations are underway -- we're eager to let everybody know what the nature of this interest is, and we're listening very closely to the market," Lussenhop said. When the project is completed, University President Judith Rodin said Sansom Common should be a "vibrant area with substantial late-night activity" and increased safety. "This is a great project for Penn," Rodin said. "It is also a great investment in our community." Fry added that the project will create approximately 400 permanent jobs and 275 construction jobs. Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation President William Hankowsky -- representing the vacationing Mayor Ed Rendell -- emphasized the importance of these jobs for the city. "There is no greater mission than to create employment for our citizens," he said. "Jobs are the solution to our fiscal problems and social ills." He added that the project "enhances the development of West Philadelphia" and complements the city's plan to make Philadelphia a "destination." City Council President John Street was also enthusiastic about the project. "We believe this project is symbolic of the progress being made in making Philadelphia the best place to live, work, study and play," he said. And Board of Trustees Chairperson Roy Vagelos called the project an "enormous investment" designed to increase the safety and quality of life of University students. University officials have selected LaSalle Partners to serve as the project's development manager and Elkus/Manfredi Architects to design the project, with Turner Construction Company heading up the construction. Daily Pennsylvanian staff writer Lindsay Faber contributed to this article.