Jill Felix will lead center which provides support for hi-tech companies. Guests gathered to sample futuristic foods and hear new University City Science Center President Jill Felix outline her vision for the organization at a garden reception in her honor on Monday evening. The Science Center is a consortium dedicated to fostering the development of businesses related to science and technology whose 28 member institutions include the University and other leading academic and health institutions in the Philadelphia area. As its sixth president, Felix said she will use her "energy, enthusiasm, ethics and entrepreneurial spirit" to help the Science Center form "new strategic partnerships" between its shareholders, local educational institutions and the city of Philadelphia. She emphasized her intention to focus on "our customer, the small, emerging hi-tech company." A former partner at Rouse and Associates, Felix developed strategic alliances and opened new markets for the company in Europe. She is also credited with developing and marketing the Great Valley Corporate Center. Felix began her career as a social worker at Philadelphia General Hospital before developing a "passion for the entrepreneurial hi-tech company." "I am pleased to bring my years of experience and service back to my beginnings," she said. Executive Vice President John Fry said he looks forward to a strengthened partnership between the University and the Science Center under the leadership of someone with the "energy, clout and vision of Jill Felix." "Our missions are compatible," Fry explained. "We are both economic engines devoted to research, development and investment in the community." He added that the University hopes to help the Science Center develop an "Avenue of Science" along Market Street. Outgoing Science Center president Peter Sears called the reception a "celebration of new initiatives to revitalize this side of the river." He noted that the Science Center has successfully incubated new science and technology-based businesses, but added that many of these businesses have moved to the suburbs. "The best thing to do is reverse that trend," he said. "There is a tremendous opportunity for developing and finishing the job we started over 30 years ago." Founded in 1963, the Science Center is the nation's first urban research center and largest technology consortium. It encompasses 12 buildings on Market Street between 34th and 38th streets, the Science Center serves as a base for over 100 innovative companies and organizations.