Members called for "peaceful coexistence" between local vendors and restaurants and retail establishments in Sansom Common. Waving signs reading "Fast, Cheap and Yummy" and "Penn -- University or Corporation?" and chanting "Save the Trucks," members of the Penn Consumer Alliance demonstrated at Friday's groundbreaking of the $120 million Sansom Common upscale retail complex. The members of PCA -- a group of concerned students, faculty and staff -- said they were rallying in support of the vendors and student-oriented businesses that will be affected by Sansom Common. The University proposed an ordinance to regulate and restructure vending on and around campus, which Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell introduced to City Council on May 29. The bill was assigned to the Rules Committee before the City Council Session ended without further action. University officials maintained that Sansom Common and the vending ordinance are separate issues, claiming that ordinance was introduced because the food trucks are safety and traffic hazards. But demonstrators said they believe the University proposed the ordinance to prevent the vendors from competing with the restaurants and shops in the Sansom Common complex. PCA spokesperson Matt Reuben said the protest was intended to send a message to the University's Board of Trustees. Members were on campus for three days of meetings last week -- during which they approved $73 million for the first phase of Sansom Common -- and many attended the groundbreaking ceremony. "We want to make sure the trustees know that the overwhelming majority of Penn students, staff and faculty have serious concerns about maintaining easy access to low-cost, high-quality food on and around campus," he said. PCA members claimed University administrators have not listened to input from students, faculty, staff and community members, noting that administrators tried to push the vending ordinance through City Council and went ahead with plans for Sansom Common after most undergraduates left for the summer. Now that the ordinance is being held in the Rules Committee until the fall, Reuben said he hopes the dialogue can continue when undergraduates return. "We think Sansom Common and the vendors can coexist peacefully," Reuben said. "PCA -- along with vendors and local community groups -- is calling for an open process in the fall where everyone affected by this issue can come together as equals and have real input into a new and better vending solution," he said.