The consulting firm hired by the university determined the cause was a corroded iron rod. Last Sunday's graduation festivities at the University of Virginia were marred by tragedy as a balcony collapsed just minutes before the Commencement ceremony was scheduled to begin, killing one person and injuring 18 others. A corroded section of an iron rod support gave way at 9:50 a.m. and caused a nine by 16 foot section of the balcony to fall, injuring people watching the ceremony from the balcony and the brick walkway below. The victims -- most of whom were guests of UVA Senior Vice President Don Detmer, who lives in the pavilion with his family-- were rushed to the UVA Hospital emergency room. May Jo Brashear of El Paso, Texas died on the operating table. Most of the other victims -- who ranged in age from nine to 79 -- sustained broken bones. Some were treated and released, while others were admitted to the hospital and later discharged. Only two of the victims remain in the hospital, and officials reported that both are listed in good condition. Meanwhile, UVA officials decided to continue with Commencement on the opposite side of the historic Lawn from the accident site. UVA President John Casteen conferred degrees on over 4,300 graduates -- most of whom were unaware that a balcony had collapsed at the other end of the Lawn. The balcony was created in the 1820s as part of one of the ten pavilions that comprised Thomas Jefferson's "Academical Village" -- which he intended to be an ideal community for faculty and students -- and has been in continuous use ever since. UVA officials explained that there have never been any structural failure in the pavilions before, and noted that a recent physical assessment of the building did not indicate any problems. UVA officials reacted by immediately hiring a consulting firm to determine the cause of the accident and asses the condition of the remaining pavilion balcony support systems. The university also erected scaffolding to brace the five remaining pavilion balconies which have similar suspension systems until they can be inspected. "Families gather at graduation to celebrate the achievements of their children and their grandchildren," Casteen said in a written release. "That this is usually such a joyous occasion makes today's tragedy even more devastating." He added that the university has "begun a vigorous investigation to prevent further accidents of this kind." "But for now, our major concern is that we comfort the victims and their families," he said.