Alumnus William Shore called for innovation in philanthropy. William Shore was on his way to a successful political career before abruptly changing course and becoming an anti-hunger activist. The 1977 College graduate served as advisor to both former Democratic Presidential candidate Gary Hart and U.S. Sen. Bob Kerry (D-Neb.) but left the realm of politics in 1984 to found the anti-hunger organization Share Our Strength. In his address to the College of Arts and Sciences class of 1997 at Franklin Field Sunday night, Shore spoke of the need for innovative ways to deal with hunger and other social problems. "I challenge you to create new wealth to serve the public interest," he said. "Not personal or corporate wealth but community wealth." Shore explained that his organization -- which has given over $30 million in grants to more than 800 anti-hunger groups -- encourages restaurants to donate food and writers to contribute stories which can be sold to raise money rather than relying on traditional fundraising methods. He called SOS a "testament to what can be accomplished when generosity and compassion cooperate with ingenuity to make the world a better place." College Dean Robert Rescorla also addressed the audience, noting that the graduates were accepted to the University by one president and provost and spent their freshman year under another pair before a third took the helm. He added that they were guinea pigs for the language requirement, MAPLE calculus program and Penn Reading Project, and have endured numerous changes to the general requirement. Rescorla thanked the graduates for adapting to these changes and helping to shape the University. Student speaker Kara Blond -- a College senior and former Managing Editor of the Daily Pennsylvanian -- reflected on the sentiments of the graduates. "I can't put into words the immensity of this feeling," she said. "Even four years as an English major have left me without the language to convey this assault of emotion. All I can offer is an imprecise, incomplete collage of conflicting feelings." She said that the graduates are accustomed to the comfort of knowing what the next step would be as they checked off items on a to-do list, but now it is time to decide which items are most important and pursue them with passion. After the speeches, faculty members called degree candidates from each department in the College to the podium individually to receive their diplomas.