Some students question Penn's support network for rape victims. The University's support system for rape victims comes under criticism in a lawsuit by a former student, who claims that University Police failed to follow up on her 1994 report of an on-campus rape or to notify state and federal authorities about the incident. While the University offers several resource channels for victims of rape or sexual assault -- designed to give victims a sense of control in handling their situations -- some worry that it may be easy to get lost in the bureaucracy. University Police Special Services Director Sue Hawkins, who has degrees in both law and psychology, said her goal "is to make our service available, accessible and appropriate as possible." Once a victim notifies University Police or Special Services, Hawkins said she arranges a personal meeting to explain the various resources available to the victim. "I meet with the individual at two o'clock in the morning if that is necessary," Hawkins said, adding that she is willing to support victims throughout the recovery process -- by accompanying them to a rape crisis center, referring them to psychological services, assisting them with any resulting academic problems or helping them file charges. "It's important for victims to feel they have control in the process," Hawkins said. "Penn Police want people to go forward in the criminal process -- but we're not going to force someone who does not wish to choose that option." She added that she hopes to change the negative attitude many students have towards the police. The Penn Women's Center on Locust Walk provides an alternative resource for rape victims. "The Women's Center provides an environment where women can talk about their rape experiences and not be judged," Director Ellie Dilapi said. "Often people are not ready to take their first step by going to the police." The center provides similar support to Special Services, but is also equipped with specialized counselors and offers therapy groups for rape survivors, Dilapi explained. Allowing the victim to retain control of her recovery process and choose how to proceed is another important aspect of the support the Women's Center provides. "We never direct students one way or another," Dilapi added. "We give them the information and then help them make the best decisions." College senior Linda Min, an educator for Students Together Against Acquaintance Rape, said she advocates the Women's Center as the first step for rape survivors. Min said her faith in the Center springs from the support it provided after she was raped while attending the University's Minority Scholars Weekend as a high school senior. She said she received "wonderful support" from the Center, although she emphasized that the University needs to improve the manner in which it helps victims resolve their situations. The University's Judicial Inquiry Office eventually found Min's attacker guilty of rape, but he was allowed to remain at Penn. And Min said the arduous process left her feeling out of control. Kurt Conklin, a STAAR advisor and health educator, said many students seek help outside the University because they don't feel Penn offers a supportive response system for rape survivors. One student, who is a close friend of a rape survivor and wished to remain anonymous, said she couldn't believe the inefficiency of Penn's support network. "It seemed the University's only response was to say 'What are we going to do with this'?" the student noted. She added that the Women's Center did not return any of her friend's phone calls, and that Counseling and Psychological Services "condemned" her friend because she was under the influence of drugs at the time of the attack. Her friend eventually sought help from a private therapist outside the University. STAAR Executive Board member Vanessa Eisemann, a College senior, said students should not tolerate a system where a rape victim is grilled while an alleged rapist is given the benefit of the doubt. "It's incredibly traumatizing to go through this horrible bureaucratic procedure that's working against a woman rather than for her," Eisemann said. "The system needs to be revaluated so that people who are victims are going to have more control in the whole process," she added.