The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Alliance and supporters of the gay community are taking a vow of silence today from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. as part of the first national Day of Silence. The event is meant to increase awareness of the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people nationwide. Students across the country are participating in the event, raising consciousness about issues in the gay community, and standing in union with heterosexual supporters. When spoken to, participants will hand out small index cards representing the silence forced upon people by certain laws and homophobia. "I have relied very heavily on my voice to express injustices, so it is going to be an equally powerful statement to not use that voice at all," LGBA Co-Chairperson Maria Gonzalez said. "I would like to see people notice us and recognize the symbolism behind our silence," the College senior added. Two students from the University of Virginia's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Union -- which began the Day of Silence in April 1996 -- decided to make the day a national activity this year, aiming to bring together students of any sexual orientation who wish to take a stand against discrimination. Over 50 colleges and high schools across the country have opted to participate, including Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Smith College, Wellesley College and Phillips Academy. "[The Day of Silence's] primary function is to raise awareness of silence that has been faced and continues to be faced," College sophomore Alex Gino said. "What we're hoping is that different people of all backgrounds will come together to be silent -- people who realize that everyone around here is equal," she added. Commenting on the progress of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered community towards gaining acceptance in the larger community, many speculated that the event would not have occurred in the previous decade. "Fewer allies would have participated 10 years ago, because they would have been considered gay at the time," Gino said. "Today, to hand these cards out doesn't necessarily mean anything," she added. Members of the LGBA mentioned that several heterosexual supporters have vowed to be silent and distribute the small cards today, exemplifying what Gonzalez called "a pretty powerful statement." The Day of Silence has received the Campus Based Civil Rights Initiative 1997 award for coalition-building among activist communities on college campuses nationwide, according to a press release.