After rejecting a contract three weeks ago, the FOP accepted a deal that provides officers with a 3 percent raise in '98 and '99. Bringing an end to months of federally-mediated negotiations, members of Fraternal Order of Police Pennsylvania Lodge 113 -- which represents University Police officers, corporals and detectives -- voted Monday to approve a three-year contract with the University. The officers had been working without a contract since August 1. Three weeks ago, FOP members voted down a contract negotiated by the union's leadership with University officials. As part of the new contract, only the approximately 20 new officers hired this month by the Division of Public Safety will have to rotate periodically among the department's three eight-hour shifts, Human Resources spokesperson Bruce Fisher said. Fisher confirmed that the contract -- which runs through July 31, 1999 -- provides officers with a 3 percent raise for the 1997-98 and 1998-99 contract years. But officers will not receive a pay raise retroactive to the current year -- during which they have worked without a contract. Director of Police Operations Maureen Rush refused to comment on the terms of the new contract, explaining that the FOP and the University had agreed not to comment on the contract to the media. But in a written statement released jointly by the two sides, Rush said the University was "pleased that the negotiations have concluded." She added that "[the University is] especially gratified that the [University Police Department's] service to the Penn Community remained at its usual high levels during the course of these talks." Cpl. Hugh McBreen, the FOP's lodge president, stressed in the statement that the union "strongly represented its members to arrive at these terms." "All parties will continue to look at other areas of benefits concern but we're pleased with the settlement we've reached with Penn," he added. And Public Safety Managing Director Thomas Seamon declined to comment on the contract, saying only that he is "happy" with the agreement. But while the union has approved the new contract, Fisher said the two sides are still negotiating pension and benefit issues. Several police officers who requested anonymity said the terms of Monday's agreement improved on the previous proposal. The contract that FOP members rejected in late February would have required all officers to rotate occasionally among the department's three 8-hour shifts. Many officers objected to this provision because it would have required regular changes in their work schedules. And in an apparent response to those objections, Monday's agreement changed that provision to apply only to the approximately 20 new University Police officers slated to join the force this month. But like last month's rejected contract, the new deal withholds retroactive pay raises, providing FOP members with wage increases only in the contract's last two years. A representative from the National Labor Relations Board mediated the contract negotiations shortly after they began last June. Because of state laws preventing University Police officers -- who are classified as private employees -- from requesting binding arbitration, and national union bylaws prohibiting members from going on strike, the FOP and the University had to reach an agreement through face-to-face negotiations.