After a year of discussion, the Student Affairs and Pluralism committees plan to present a report to University Council today that recommends giving the United Minorities Council a permanent seat on the advisory body. There will be preliminary discussion of the proposal after the recommendation, although no vote is scheduled for this meeting. UMC Vice Chairperson and Undergraduate Assembly member Olivia Troye said she expects a vote to take place at Council's April meeting, although the College sophomore added, "you never know with University Council." The Undergraduate Assembly unofficially gave one of its 10 seats to the UMC until 1994. And when the UA received five additional seats in 1994, it sought to give one of those seats to the UMC on a permanent basis. But Council rejected the UA's request, claiming it violated Council bylaws, which state that only elected representatives may serve on the body. Troye said she expects mixed reaction to the proposal. She added, however, that Council opinion is more favorable towards the idea of establishing the seat than it has been in the past. But outgoing UMC Chairperson Susie Lee had a more positive outlook. "From the reactions of the Student Affairs and Pluralism committees, I am pretty optimistic about how Council is going to react," the College senior said. "But I am expecting a not-too-good reaction from the Undergraduate Assembly," she added. Troye said it is important to remember that elected undergraduate officials may not accurately represent all students. "The important thing here is representation," Troye said. "The issue is that a group doesn't feel they are being represented." Lee explained that UMC officials are elected by a large portion of the undergraduate community, while many Council seats are not popularly elected. Troye already has a seat on Council as a UA representative, which has led some to claim that the UMC does not need another seat. But Troye said that she represents the student body to Council in her capacity as a UA member -- and not the minority community. She added that the UMC will conduct a poll of the student body to determine the extent of support for a UMC seat. Council will also hear a report from the Personnel Benefits Committee which will assess the new benefits proposals. After the last Council meeting, members of the committee expressed disapproval with the plan, particularly in the area of equity for lower income staff.