Part-time workers had requested prorated full benefits since 1993. Part-time employees expressed displeasure with new benefits proposals denying full-time benefits to part-time workers. Since 1993, a group of permanent part-time workers have sought the right to full benefits on a prorated basis. Graduate career counselor Julia Vick -- who was involved with the committee of workers who made the request for full benefits --Esaid she was disappointed but not surprised by the outcome. "It's not fair, and it's shortsighted of the University to deny prorated full benefits to permanent part-time employees," she said. "Students should know that the University likes to say that quality of life issues are important ones," she added. "If that's the case, we wish Penn would lead the way on this issue." Van Pelt librarian Ellen Demarinis agreed with Vick, adding that she had held strong hopes that the new plan would rectify the situation. Many of the part-time workers who have lobbied for benefits are long-time employees of the University, Vick said. Vick herself has worked at the University for 19 years --E10 part time and nine full time -- and Demarinis has served as a reference librarian for 25 years. "This is a dedicated cadre of employees, many of whom have devoted most of their professional lives to the University," Vick said. She also expressed concern that the Benefits Advisory Committee, which drafted the proposal, did not include any part-time workers, despite repeated requests from her group that they be involved in the process. Vice President for Human Resources Clint Davidson said that although no part-time workers were asked to serve on the committee, their needs and perspectives were sought and considered. The Benefits Committee did recommend continuing a program that allows part-time workers to place pre-tax income in an account to cover health care premiums. Part-time employees have access to a University group health care rate but must pay their own premiums. Vick said most part-time workers are not extremely concerned with health care since many have access through their spouses. Tuition and retirement benefits are of greater importance, she said. Benefits Committee Co-Chairperson and Associate Provost Barbara Lowery said the University's part-time worker benefits are highly competitive with its peer institutions. Lowery added that for the purpose of part-time employment, peer institutions are considered to be local business who may attract the same pool of workers, rather than other Ivy League universities. The committee of part-time workers which requested the benefits review has often cited other Ivy League schools as providing better benefits. "There are places that provide great benefits," Lowery said. "They tend to be places that rely heavily on part-time workers. Most peer institutions in the area do not provide part-time benefits." Bruce Fisher, who works in the Department of Human Resources, added that the Philadelphia government, the city's largest employer, does not provide full benefits to part-time workers either. Wachter said the goal is to provide as many benefits as possible without allowing the costs of part-time worker benefits to have a negative effect on benefits for full-time workers. The focus of current programs for part-time workers is not to provide actual benefits, but to allow access to the benefit structure for part-time employees who wish to take advantage of it, Lowery said. Although the committee did not consider offering benefits to part-time workers who have been employed by the University for an extended period of time, Wachter said that might be something the University would consider in the future. "It is always the case that any group would be able to argue 'there's more you could do for us'," Wachter said. A-3 Assembly Chairperson Karen Wheeler said part-time worker concerns are legitimate and should be heard, adding that workers should attend the University Council's March 5 open forum meeting to voice their concerns. Demarinis said she believes the part-time workers would meet soon to discuss the proper course of action.