Winter is usually a season of relaxation for college football teams, a time to let the fall's injuries heal before spring practice. Not so for the Quakers. The off-season has brought a number of changes especially at the high-profile quarterback spot. When the Quakers walked off of Cornell's Schoelkopf Field on November 23, it seemed clear that freshman Brian Russell, who played the entire game, and the man he replaced the week before, injured junior Tom MacLeod, would fight for the starting spot in 1997. But Russell's abrupt departure from the program, coupled with transfer of Matt Rader from Duke, has changed the quarterbacking picture dramatically. Although Russell, a California native, was known to have had a difficult time adjusting to Penn, his decision to transfer still came as a surprise to his teammates. "I knew he was having a hard time in the transition," MacLeod said. "He had grown up in California. I've come across a few kids who come out here to play football and they seem to have a harder time than most? I knew Brian wasn't too happy, but he seemed to like it a little bit more as the year progressed." Russell was hesitant to discuss the matter, saying only, "I just felt Penn wasn't the place for me for four years." He is living with his parents in the Los Angeles suburb of West Covina, Calif., and this semester is attending a local junior college, Mt. San Antonio College. He would not confirm nor deny speculation that he is looking to join a Division I-A program. One player whose Division I-A experience lost its luster was Rader. After being redshirted his freshman year at Duke and not playing the next season, Rader appeared in seven games for the Blue Devils in 1996, completing 85-of-150 attempts for 905 yards, five touchdowns and six interceptions. After watching his team go 0-11, Duke coach Fred Goldsmith decided to overhaul the program, including the quarterbacks. Given the choice of changing positions, probably to linebacker or tight end, the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Rader decided to explore other opportunities. He looked primarily for Division I-AA teams, since moving within I-A would have required him to sit out a year. After looking at Penn, Princeton, Richmond and New Hampshire, Rader, who hails from Bucks County and recalled coming to Franklin Field for a Penn-Princeton game during high school, narrowed his choices to the Ivy League. He decided to become a Quaker when Princeton chose not to alter its no-transfer policy for him. "[Princeton] really wasn't an option and also Penn came through with a pretty good package, so I decided to take them up on it," Rader said. Rader came to Penn with only a basic knowledge of the team's present personnel and coaching staff. "Obviously I researched it -- I researched on the Internet, and I know they went 5-5 last year," the new Wharton student said. "I also know they've had 10-0 seasons and a 24-game winning streak. But I didn't know the situation for the coming year until I actually came and visited and talked with the coaches." On the surface, it would appear Rader would be the starter, having guided a team in one of the nation's best conferences for much of last season, but there are no guarantees. "Well, Coach [Bagnoli] didn't make any promises," Rader said. "The only promise he made was he'd give me every opportunity to compete for the starting job, which is, basically, all you can ask for coming into a football program." While his new rival's credentials are strong, MacLeod is not ready to give up the reins yet. "I see myself as the starter," he said. "I see the other two guys [Rader and freshman Brandon Carson] in the program as competing with me." It's a sentiment MacLeod admits may be "arrogant", but both quarterbacks will need confidence for the battle for time this spring. Penn coach Al Bagnoli refused to be interviewed for this story.