The Quakers are benefitting from a grueling early-season schedule. The Penn men's tennis team looked to avoid getting an education at Penn today after putting their entire weekend under the column of "learning experience." Levy Pavilion was home of the third win of the spring season for the players. The Quakers battled out a win -- slightly edging Temple, 4-3. The match began in smooth fashion for Penn (3-0), which earned a point in its favor by taking two of the three doubles matches. The combination of senior co-captains Brad Goldberg and J.J. Cramer started Penn in the win column with an 8-1 victory. Penn junior Marc Fisicaro and sophomore Udi Kish managed to get the decisive victory, 8-4, while Dominic Rioux and David Schwartzman were unable to capitalize, losing a tough match, 8-5. The singles draws proved to be more difficult in the taking, however. "This team just came in pumped up to play us, but we were ready to play," Goldberg said. The Penn players showed some difficulty, but more fight, coming off of a long weekend. "The guys were a little fatigued after the weekend and, maybe, still had it a little in their minds," Penn coach Gene Miller said. The Quakers got the better of their fatigue, as their depth enabled them to win some key matches. Though both No. 1 Kish and No. 2 Fisicaro lost, 1-6, 6-7, (5-7) and 2-6, 6-1, 3-6, respectively. No. 3 Joel Silman gave the squad a boost, however, with a relatively easy victory, 6-3, 6-0. Though Goldberg was unable to fend off his opponent at No. 4, 3-6,4-6, the Penn squad was able learn from their difficulties at the top of singles play. "This was a match we could have easily lost -- they happen to be deeper than usual this season," Goldberg said. This depth proved to be the key for the Quakers though, and not the Owls. The play of No. 5 singles sophomore Jordan Szekely and No. 6 J.J. Cramer proved to be the difference. Szekely won a long first set, 7-5, looking a though he would have a long battle. In the end, his play proved to be too much for his Temple opponent, Adam Dickinson, in the second set, as he eased to a win, 6-1. This type of toughness was the key to the match in Miller's mind. "We toughed out a difficult situation, even the guys who lost exhibited so much toughness," Miller said. Cramer turned in what may have been the most valuable performance of the day. After combining with teammate Goldberg to chip in to the doubles side of the draw, Cramer looked to help the team at the No. 6 singles draw. Cramer seemed to avoid the problem of fatigue from the long weekend. Taking the match in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, Cramer's match gave the Quakers the third singles point and the all-important fourth overall for the team. The Quakers' victory yesterday marked the end of what Miller called the "dangerous part" of the season. Playing a full weekend with three high-quality teams and coming back with another tough match the same week tested the team. "This weekend will help us tremendously in the long run. When we see Dartmouth and Harvard later in the season, it will be just another match," Goldberg said. Miller's team will have several more difficult matches to prepare them for the "heart" of schedule in the Ivy League. With the likes of Richmond and George Washington next weekend as well as nationally acclaimed teams like Miami (Fla.) and South Alabama, the schedule seemingly has no breaks. Yesterday's match indicates that Miller's intent to play a tough schedule is paying off. The Quakers were able to rebound from a weekend of getting drubbed by national powers in Illinois and regain their confidence to beat Temple and get back on the way to victory.