Princeton University's former assistant dean for multicultural affairs, Valerie DeCruz, was recently appointed director of Penn's Greenfield Intercultural Center. The GIC, located at 3708 Chestnut St., serves as a center of cultural resources that stimulate intergroup discussion and advocate minority student needs. The Center houses the United Minorities Council and Programs for Awareness in Cultural Awareness. DeCruz -- encouraged to consider the position by people who were aware of her previous work and dedication to multicultural affairs -- said the GIC's potential for intriguing collaborations sparked her interest in the position. "The GIC is a space that already facilitates interesting collaborations between different constituencies," DeCruz said. "Different minority organizations can come together to organize social and intellectual programs, and graduate students work with undergraduates in programming around minority issues," she added. DeCruz said maintaining a sense of the GIC as "a home away from home," will remain among the center's important goals. She added that she hopes the GIC's programming will contribute to some understanding of the complexities surrounding race in American societies, while actively supporting students and minority communities. DeCruz was quick to remark about the positive potential of the GIC for the University's campus. "Given that race has particular saliency in our society, the Center has enormous potential to further understanding of race relations in America through innovative social and intellectual activities." Although Decruz was impressed by Penn's attentiveness to the needs of a diverse student body, she has "somewhat mixed" feelings about the move from Princeton to Penn. "I truly value the many interactions I have had with colleagues and students at Princeton," she said. "I had not expected to leave so soon, but became intrigued by the challenges the position at Penn offers." GIC Assistant Director Karlene Burrell has served as acting director for the center since the departure of former Director Larry Burnley. Burrell called the experience "good, but tiring" and said she is eagerly awaiting the arrival of the official director. DeCruz has already been "involved in numerous meetings to get acquainted with Penn," and she officially begins her new post March 3. "I have been impressed by the dedication of the staff, their energy and creativity and it would be a pleasure to support their ideas," she said.