Initiatives announced last week as part of the School of Engineering and Applied Science's follow-up to the "Agenda for Excellence" focus on research priorities and interdisciplinary programs. The Engineering School has decided to concentrate its research on three programs in particular -- Information Science and Technology, Biological Science and Technology and Materials Science. "These are three topics in which we have every reason to believe that we should be fantastic and we know we can be fantastic," Farrington said. He added that the school will review each of its departments and terminate unsuccessful programs. Farrington said new interdisciplinary programs are a major theme of the plan, since one of the school's major strengths is its "linkage" with other schools. Towards that goal, he explained that the Engineering School will develop two major educational programs directed at "people outside our normal educational focus." In addition to continuing the Telecommunications master's program begun this fall, the school will add a Biotechnology master's program -- run jointly by the School of Arts and Sciences and the Engineering School -- next fall. The school will also make minors in several Engineering programs available to non-science or math majors. Farrington said he anticipates the largest amount of student interest in a proposed Computer and Information Science minor, although the school will also consider minors in Telecommunications and Biotechnology. But he added that the Engineering School must take into account which subjects can be adequately taught to a non-science major in the course of a minor. CIS Professor Dave Farber said that although CIS minors may not be equipped for a computer-intensive job, they will benefit from greater understanding of the field. "They're not going to be able to go and be practitioners, but when they run in to things in the computer area they'll develop a smell for it," he said. Farrington also proposed the addition of one or two interdisciplinary programs similar to the Management and Technology program. Possible subjects for the new programs include Biotechnology, Telecommunications and International Technology. The school has hired five new faculty members over the course of the semester, including its first African American professor. The school will continues its search for new faculty in the areas of computer science, biotechnology and telecommunications. Faculty members said they are pleased with the plan, adding that it successfully focuses on the school's strengths while developing new ideas for programs. "It will bring the school forward," said Electrical Engineering Undergraduate Chairperson Jan Van Der Spiegel. "The dean has chosen the right priorities." Director of Advising and Admissions John Keenan said both the Faculty Senate and individual faculty members provided input for the plan at various stages. Beyond academic changes, the plan outlines several facilities projects. The school will continue to improve facilities with the IAST-II project slated to house Computer, Information and Cognitive Science facilities. Farrington said he hopes to renovate the current Engineering facilities and build an engineering and science library. Further renovations will be made to the Towne Building over the summer. The building -- which received a facelift prior to the ENIAC anniversary -- will now undergo heating and air conditioning repairs. Farrington added that the school opened a new computer lab over winter break, while upgrading its computers. "This is Pentium heaven," Farrington said.