University-initiated improvements to 40th Street will be extended to include the area between Baltimore Avenue and Sansom Street, according to Chief of Police Operations Maureen Rush. Over the past few weeks, the 40th Street Task Force has worked on the area between Locust and Walnut streets in the first phase of a program to revitalize the western edge of campus. Rush, who serves as co-chairperson of the 40th Street Task Force, said phases two and three of the program will begin next semester. She also said that she will look at further enhancing safety and retail along 40th Street. "This will create a concept of a 40th Street corridor," Rush said. "We want people to use public transportation and get off at 40th and Market and feel very secure walking to Baltimore." She added that 40th Street has been chosen as a priority because of its role as a transportation hub and as a "corridor into the community from campus." Long-term possibilities for the program include the potential relocation of 40th Street vendors and a reassessment of the street's retail operations, which has angered local vendors. "It doesn't bother us, but the [other] vendors are pretty upset," said Lavalle Randolph, a cashier at the 40th Street Uni-Mart. Task Force Co-Chairperson and Associate Treasurer Diane-Louise Wormley said students will be able to voice their suggestions for new retail operations through an on-line survey. She added that the 40th Street area is a possible location for a 24-hour diner, which many students requested in a recent Undergraduate Assembly survey. The corner of 40th and Spruce streets presents particular concerns with reference to juvenile curfew violations and other quality of life issues, according to Rush. According to Philadelphia law, minors may not remain on the streets past 10:30 p.m. during the week and midnight on weekends. Rush said a special response team has conducted checks of the area and found curfew violations in and around the 24-hour Game Room at 40th and Spruce streets. She added that the Task Force expects retailers to comply with city ordinances and to attract the "type of clientele which will enhance the living experience of neighbors." Businesses which refuse to work with the University and comply with city ordinances will be referred to city agencies, according to Rush. "We will work with city agencies to examine their operations and see what we can do about it," she said. Future plans for the area also include better lighting and paving of the parking lot at 40th and Walnut streets. A University employee who works at the parking lot said any changes in the area would be welcome. "At least if you have to run away from someone, you will be running on a flat sidewalk," he added. The task force has worked in the past weeks to prepare 40th Street for new lighting installation. It has also painted the 40th Street mall and fixed sidewalks. Wormley said the mall was originally painted because its brick facade could not be cleaned. She added that the new color is effective at reflecting light on to the street. Among other changes, the Public Safety Mini-Station will move to 202-206 40th Street, where it will house the new headquarters for Penn Watch, Spectaguard and the police bike patrol. Philadelphia Police will also be encouraged to utilize the facility, Rush said. Rush explained police services will move to the new police station at 40th and Chestnut streets when it is completed next year. After the move, the building will probably also serve as headquarters for the new special services district, she added. Rush declined to specify a final cost for the 40th Street project, saying "it was not cheap, but the budget has been reasonable in connection with the speed and the amount that has been done."