Residents of 4416 and 4418 Osage charged tha their landlords will not fix the troubled building. Sprawling trees and spacious buildings line the 4400 block of Osage Avenue, which many University faculty and students call home. But the condition of one apartment complex on the block has led some neighbors to label it a detriment to the neighborhood. Donald and Margaret Guinan, owners of that complex at 4416 and 4418 Osage Avenue, have been cited for numerous code violations by the Philadelphia Department of Licensing and Inspections, dating back to the summer of 1994. Guinan said last week he has successfully managed the building for 20 years and that the violations will be cleared up soon. But University City resident and Urban Studies Professor Michael Katz said he fears the two adjoining apartment buildings may deter potential residents. "I would certainly think twice about buying a house that is close to them," Katz said. "My guess is that they would be having a really bad effect on real estate on that block." History Chairperson Lynn Lees, a member of Penn Faculty and Staff for Neighborhood Issues, said she is familiar with the buildings, which she said "clearly need work." "I don't feel very good about [having such buildings] in the neighborhood," the 44th and Pine streets resident said. But University City Housing Manager Bill Groves said he owns four properties near the 4400 block of Osage and has not had a problem finding potential tenants to live there. Still, tenants of the complex itself cite severe problems with the building -- claims backed up by the L & I report. According to L & I, the complex did not receive heat until last week. And since the heat was activated, tenant Gregory Brake said it has not been on during the night and has not exceeded 68 degrees -- the minimum temperature required by L & I. Donald Guinan explained that the building's heating system was undergoing repairs that were delayed because he was waiting for a new part to arrive. Janai Gibson, a tenant of the complex since April, has refused to pay her rent for the past two months in response to what she calls unacceptable apartment conditions. Gibson said the apartment is covered with mildew. Gibson said she was forced to abandon the Osage Avenue apartment last week after the mildew damaged her furniture and the odor aggravated her five-year-old son's respiratory problems. Guinan, who sued Gibson for withholding rent, said the mildew is caused by moisture from a tree on a neighboring property. Guinan claims repeated requests to have the tree trimmed were denied. Guinan also called Gibson "a troublemaker who is going from apartment to apartment stirring things up." L & I spokesperson Thomas McNally said in cases of code violations, tenants are allowed to hold their rent in escrow until repairs are made. McNally added that while he knows of buildings in Philadelphia in worse condition, 4416 Osage certainly has significant problems. "It would seem to be a good idea to move elsewhere," he said. Katz explained that such buildings often have adverse effects on their neighborhood. "It is well-known that abandoned and neglected buildings have a negative effect on the neighborhood," Katz said. "It does take much abandonment or decay to have it spiral downward. Those structures are really detrimental to the neighborhood." Brake also complained that despite frequent requests, repairs have not been made to the apartment he has rented since July, citing a broken stove, door locks and electrical outlets. L & I has also cited the building for a lack of fire extinguishers and smoke detectors, as well as unsteady and uneven floors and walls. In response to fire safety concerns, L & I has issued what McNally called "a standard warning," demanding repairs by December 31. Guinan said he would take care of the fire code violations by the end of the year, adding that they only pertain to a recently enacted law. He explained that the smoke detector installations require the hiring of an outside firm, which takes longer than in-house repairs. Guinan added that concerns such as heating also require professional contractors which can not be hired overnight. "I don't know anything about damaged floorboards and would have to go into the building and see," he added. Guinan attributed other problems, such as the lack of fire extinguishers, to theft and damage perpetrated by the tenants. Some tenants, however, complain Guinan is rarely available to answer complaints, often leaving his secretary in charge. Grossbach explained that landlords who do not live locally, like Guinan, often concern residents in the neighborhood. Those landlords, Grossbach said, sometimes are not in touch with community needs and do not visit the buildings enough. Guinan lives in Moylan, Pa., about a half hour away from West Philadelphia, but said he is in the building "every day." But Grossbach said he doubts the validity of Guinan's claim. "What about in the winter -- is he there every day?" Grossbach asked. "What if there is a snowstorm -- who manages his property then?" Dee Bishop, who works in Guinan's rental office, said the charges are "B.S." "Some of the people exaggerate," Bishop said. "They pay little rent, and all they do is complain. If they wanted a real nice family place they should rent? somewhere else and pay five times that rent."