Community could collectCommunity could collecttaxes for local development Several area institutions are hoping to transform West Philadelphia into a special services district -- a move that would give the area the ability to raise and spend its own tax money for community development and improvements. Penn has approached Drexel University, the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia College of Pharmaceuticals to co-develop a blueprint for the creation of a district similar to one currently operating in Center City, according to Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Carol Scheman. A special services district is a primarily commercial area that obtains the right to assess charges above and beyond Philadelphia real estate taxes to pay for community projects and services, explained Paul Levy, executive director of Center City District. Since the extra funds may be used in any way the community sees fit, University officials said they hope to use the money for projects Penn has been lobbying the city for -- including improved safety conditions, lighting, retail and sidewalks. The city has said it cannot afford to fund these projects within current budget constraints, according to Scheman. But Executive Vice President John Fry explained that any successful effort must be a concerted one. "We know as a principle that all successful special services districts really are a collaborative effort," Fry said. "It's not Penn that's going to make a special services district, it's University City that is going to have a special services district if the institutions want to do it." Fry added that although he believes other institutions will support the idea, actual planning will not take place until he has gauged the level of interest. Many other factors also have to fall into place before the plan can come to fruition. Levy, who spearheaded the creation of the Center City services district, explained that West Philadelphia City Councilperson Janie Blackwell must begin the procedure by petitioning the Council, a process that will take at least nine months to complete. Blackwell said she has not been contacted to present a formal proposal to Council yet, although she thinks it is an idea whose time has come. Fry said the University would like the process to move as quickly as possible. "Typically, it is a year-long process," Fry said. "I think, though, given the situation we have right now, we can move it along more expeditiously." Another potential problem may lie in the increased taxes. Center City businesses agreed to a slightly higher tax burden in exchange for better safety and maintenance, Levy said. But West Philadelphia's primarily residential and institutional property owners may balk at the additional taxes. "Special services districts are usually built around a viable commercial corridor," City Managing Director Joe Certaine said. "In most cases, there are also residential areas around the commercial corridor, but I am not sure what the boundaries for that in the University area would be." Scheman said a services district in West Philadelphia could still work if costs are shared differently. "We have a number of large institutions in the area," she said. "Perhaps they can carry a larger load." Scheman said she would put the money to a variety of uses, such as streetscaping, lighting, tree trimming, economic development and attracting new retail. "The idea is to make an area more attractive and lively -- to make an area a better place to work and play," Scheman said. For example, the Center City district employs former homeless people and to sponsor a "Make It a Night" campaign, which keeps stores and businesses open later than usual one night a week, Levy said. Several years ago, the city tried to institute a similar program in University City, but it did not work due to lack of participation, Blackwell said. But now, she said, she wholeheartedly supports the idea.