Cheryl Lau is breaking the mold as the U.S. House of Representatives's general counsel. As keynote speaker Monday night for Asian/Pacific American Heritage Week, Lau discussed how Asian Americans can avoid being constrained by "cookie cutter" stereotypes. Assuming her post in the beginning of 1995, Lau became the first Asian American woman to serve as the top House lawyer -- responsible for the legal interests of the chamber and its 435 members. She described her current job, as well as her ascension through the professional world, as "not an easy task," noting that Asian Americans are often cast into passive roles in society. "All the world is a political stage and Asian Americans must be placed in front of the curtain and not behind it," she said. "We cannot change the past, but as a group we can learn about it." Citing historical examples, Lau said the U.S. has made Asian American life difficult, particularly with immigration issues. Lau said the xenophobic climate in the U.S. forced Asian American immigrants to "pull back and look to each other for assistance," resulting in the formation of support groups within their culture. "All of us know that there are as many differences between ourselves as among Europeans," Lau said. "We need to come together and begin to spread that message." She said the Asian American community should make learning about the differences in the various cultures a priority, while also concentrating on their similarities. Throughout her life, Lau has changed professions several times. She was a music teacher before she began to pursue a law degree. Then, she switched to politics after serving as a deputy attorney general in Nevada. Lau attributed her success to her mother, father and grandmother, who she considers her greatest role models. "We must rediscover our families," Lau added. "When we do that we will learn more about ourselves." She said people can derive moral strength from their relatives, adding that a "family-like" communication can expand with advances in technologies. Lau said the future of Asian Americans in the professional realm looks bright. "The answers lie here with all of you here in Philadelphia, not with me in D.C.," Lau said. "You are the people of the next century -- take advantage of that." Following the short speech, Lau fielded questions from the audience of 50 students. Many asked how they could change the "silent minority" stigma of Asian Americans while others questioned their future as a minority looking for employment. "This evening especially gave some of the seniors here a glimpse of the future," said APA advisor Alvin Alvarez, a psychologist with Counseling and Psychological Services, as the event came to a close. After the address, the group moved to Houston Hall's Bowl Room for a multicultural art display. Both the art display and the address were coordinated by Wharton junior Tiya Lim and College senior Daphne Nisperos, APA Week co-chairs. "This week's events display the diverse spectrum of Asian American interest, ranging from arts to politics," Lim said. Engineering junior Sang Kim said the week-long celebration affected both the APA members and the University. "Heritage week has a two-fold purpose," Kim said. "It is for the APA to celebrate their diversity, while continuing to include and educate the University campus."