In the aftermath of more than 30 robberies near campus over the past month, concerned local retailers are taking extra safety precautions and hoping that the rash of crime will end. After a student was robbed at gunpoint in front of the Uni-Mart convenience store at 40th and Locust streets September 18, Assistant Manager Rob Browler decided to close the store an hour earlier every night –– at 11 p.m. He said he will continue the earlier hours "until things calm down." "People are being more cautious and not going out as much late at night," Browler said. "If students are not outside, I won't have any business anyway." Browler added that he rearranged the schedules of some employees who expressed concerns about safety and is letting them leave even earlier. Bucks County Coffee Assistant Manager Carrie Winston, who works at the 40th and Locust streets shop, said she is nervous when closing up at night. "Most of the people who work here are men who live nearby, so it is not a problem for them," she said. "But I have to walk to the trolley going into Center City." Winston said she has not noticed any decrease in customers. "We had a show and a fraternity meeting here the night after the shooting [of College senior Patrick Leroy]," Winston said. "I think students see us as more of a safe zone." Sankar Reddy, who manages the 7-11 at 38th and Chestnut streets, which was robbed September 29, said he is more worried about losing employees than customers. "If it happens again, no one will come and work here," Reddy said. He noted that employees left the 7-11 on Drexel University's campus after similar incidents of crime occurred there. The store is now understaffed, and may be forced to close. But Associate Treasurer Chris Mason said he is not yet concerned about retailers leaving the Penn area because of safety concerns. "Retailers here have always known what they are getting into," Mason said. Director of Police Operations Maureen Rush said local merchants have been more cautious recently, alerting University Police officers to any suspicious behavior. She noted that a 7-11 employee was involved in the apprehension of a suspect who University Police believe to be involved in many of the recent robberies near campus, including three in the store itself. Mason said although retailers must rely on the presence of University and Philadelphia Police, they can also encourage customers to stay out on the streets at night -- a move he believes would make the area safer. Paul Ryan, owner of Smokey Joe's Tavern at 210 S. 40th Street, said he agreed. "People have to get out on the streets in large numbers and take the neighborhood back," he said. "If they stay inside, it will only get worse." Ryan added that the University Police department is doing a good job. "40th Street at night has cops all over the place," he said. "[And] the good part is that they're catching people." Ryan, who has owned Smokey Joe's since 1952, said he is not concerned about the current rash of crime in the area. "I've seen things like this come and go before," he said. "[Crime] escalates and then goes back down." Last spring, merchants on the 3400 block of Walnut Street were the target of multiple robberies. But Cinnabon Manager Joe Maguire said the store has not had any problems since its two armed robberies last semester. And Foot Locker Assistant Manager Bisarat Worede said the only problems his store has dealt with involve stolen credit cards. The store has a full-time security guard. "We have to suspect everyone," Worede said. The University is currently awaiting the results of an ongoing major facilities evaluation that will direct the future of retail on and around campus. "It will be beneficial for merchants to come on board to improve the quality of life and to attract customers," Rush said.