Despite the polls andDespite the polls andthe pundits, studentsDespite the polls andthe pundits, studentsmaintain hope for Dole. Penn's College Republicans plan to mount a counter rally during President Clinton's campus visit today. In an effort to gain national media coverage, the group will gather at the Button and head to Hill Field to voice support for Republican presidential candidate Bob Dole. The event, organized by College freshman Patrick Ruffini, is the product of a meeting Sunday with the University City GOP Committee. But in a week of major political activity on campus, College Republicans President Tony Andreoli admitted his group has not devoted much energy to swaying other students to the Republican ticket. The Wharton senior said he believes many Penn students don't vote. As a result, College Republicans has focused its efforts on Election Day and on mobilizing the group's members to attend Republican rallies. Andreoli said the group suffers from Penn's location in a traditionally Democratic area, making Republican efforts in local neighborhoods relatively ineffective. "There are a few students that are heavily involved in Dole's campaign, but the neighborhoods that they are canvassing are outside of the surrounding areas, and unless you have transportation, it is difficult," Andreoli said. "We are not in a prime locale to canvass for the Republicans." He added that it is no shock that Dole is the only candidate not to visit Penn this week. "Philadelphia is not exactly a Republican stronghold," he said. "For Bob Dole to come here would not be very productive at this point, considering his position in the polls." But individual efforts by campus Republicans continue, despite the difficult task they face. College sophomore Courtney Fine and Wharton junior Jesse Hibbard, the Pennsylvania coordinators for Young Americans for Dole, continue to disseminate press releases and advice to state contacts. Though Dole trails Clinton heavily in national polling of likely voters, Penn Republicans remain hopeful. Andreoli cited similar polls that showed Clinton leading the 1980 Arkansas gubernatorial race, an election he ended up losing. And in a bipartisan example, he cited the surprise victory of former President Harry Truman over the heavily favored Republican candidate Thomas Dewey. And Fine pointed to the inconclusive nature of some polls, noting that statistics can often be manipulated. "It is not over until November 5," Andreoli said. "One can always hope."