some students say administratorssome students say administratorsneed to speed up implementation. Six weeks ago, University President Judith Rodin released several financial initiatives aimed at increasing the number of minority faculty and students at the University and making Penn a more attractive place for minorities. But some members of minority groups on campus are concerned that University administrators have taken no further steps toward implementation of the program since Rodin announced it. The groups have taken different tacks in response to the administration's lack of action. Provost Stanley Chodorow said he is talking with students and faculty about plans for the use of the minority permanence funds, but said there is no definite schedule for implementation. "Those discussions have not yet led to conclusions," Chodorow said. "We want to do this well and need a thorough discussion of the options before putting things in motion." Rodin's Chief of Staff Steven Schutt added that the president and provost are now developing new ideas and strategies for minority recruitment and retention. "There will be further discussions and meetings in coming weeks," Schutt said. "Representatives from the Black Student League will certainly be among the participants, as will Latino students." Noting the importance of the initiatives Rodin announced last month, he said the University "wants to be sure that our planning is done carefully and inclusively." Under Rodin's new proposals, the University will earmark $5 million for the recruitment and retention of under-represented minority faculty and students, primarily blacks and Hispanics. In addition, every dollar given to an individual school within the University must be matched by that school, bringing the overall contribution up to $10 million. Representatives of minority groups that will benefit from the plan, including the BSL, La Asociacion Cultural de Estudiantes Latino Americanos (ACELA) and El Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MeChA), have offered varied responses to the University's current progress. According to BSL President Obinna Adibe, his organization is "working extremely hard" to improve relations with University administrators, but continues to seek more detailed information from many officials, including those involved with financial aid and the Office of the President. "Nothing really has been done in the past month, and it's past due," said Adibe, a College senior. "Sometimes, if the BSL and the faculty don't do anything, things will never get accomplished. "It's like trying to get a mule to move," Adibe said. "And we are a farmer that is tugging really hard, but if we don't tug the mule definitely won't move." BSL Vice President and College senior Sean Coleman said many of the current discussions about minority permanence should have taken place a long time ago, but added that the meetings mark a step in the right direction. Coleman described the BSL as "extremely motivated," noting that for the first time, the group has defined roles and delegated responsibilities. "We accept the administration's decision to give the minority students this money to work with -- it is an extremely political and bold move," Coleman said. "But if we don't take the opportunity by the horns, then all those who oppose us will say that we were given [monetary support] and still fell." Adibe said he feels students need to remember the important role they play at the University. "All students, including blacks, can do anything, because we are the people who pay the administrators," Adibe said. "I think students need to realize the power we have -- we pay too much money to go here to accept things we don't like." ACELA members said they agree with the BSL president's general sentiments, but are approaching Rodin's initiative through different routes. ACELA's United Minority Council representative, College sophomore Debralee Santos, said the group is "tremendously appreciative of the active investigation and information-gathering" of fellow minority groups, particularly the BSL. And ACELA continues to discuss the issue through UMC and faculty meetings, in addition to its newly formed internal committee designed to "review past initiatives and announce administrative efforts to increase minority presence on campus," Santos said. In general, ACELA does not plan to track the University's progress with its minority permanence plan actively, because members feel their time could be better spent on their own projects. "[ACELA is] genuinely excited about the proposal of additional support channeled into promoting minority recruitment and permanence," Santos said. "[But] given the lackluster success of past initiatives and demonstrably poor results, ACELA has redoubled its efforts into employing already established and ongoing opportunities that encourage Latino students to consider Penn as one of their choices." The group is currently concentrating on two upcoming programs -- Latino Pre-Applicants' Weekend and the Minority Scholars' Weekend. MeChA President and College senior Emmanuel Mejia said his group is currently promoting awareness of the plan but hopes to become more involved in the future. "We are very thankful that the BSL has done so much," Mejia said. "Without their efforts, often times the minority voice would not be heard on campus."